What's new

Two gold mines detected

TerryC

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
7,855
Reaction score
11,225
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother, TimC and myself, detected the Gold mines near Hwy 49 at New Melones Reservoir. Minimal success. The first pic shows the foundation of GM1, visible from the 49 bridge across the reservoir (I always thought this was a bridge foundation). Second pic shows its shaft. Pic 3 shows GM2 with TimC standing in its shaft... he is in the middle of the pic, just above the center. This GM is above #1, about 100 yards into the woods. Pic 4 is my finds. A hand-wound iron wire "cordage", a brass rivet from a tool, and a square nail. The last pic is very sad. The Sentinal is dying, just like the mine and miners have. This tree was here before the mine was made and now, alas, after a few hundred years, it too goes. Now.... BEWARE! The ranger at this FEDERAL park (Mark Twain Rec Area) warned we could detect but we could NOT dig or destroy any foliage! We had a good time. This site is rated EASY, with parking nearby. Come on down and good luck! TTC
 

Attachments

  • Gold.webp
    Gold.webp
    128.6 KB · Views: 3,705
  • Shaft.webp
    Shaft.webp
    191.8 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Middle.webp
    Middle.webp
    242.1 KB · Views: 3,698
  • Relics.webp
    Relics.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,644
  • Tree.webp
    Tree.webp
    199.8 KB · Views: 3,609
Upvote 0
Test, test.
 
A million nails. Probably many more square nails to be found. Several tailings piles.
 
glad you got out, but if you cannot dig how did you recover the items? not being critical, because I've been told this before and didn't detect the site cause I couldn't figure out how to recover targets without digging so what is the secret? any way thanks for sharing and hh
 
Man,your right below the Ranger headquarters...Looks like the Norwegan mine.I detected the old town of Melones before the lake was filled.They had bulldozed all the buildings,foundations etc into piles!This was probably in 1977 with a Compass detector,good machines back in the day.Heard that ranger warning,"don't let us see you put anything in your pockets",put the coins in my boot......Dave.
 
Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
glad you got out, but if you cannot dig how did you recover the items? not being critical, because I've been told this before and didn't detect the site cause I couldn't figure out how to recover targets without digging so what is the secret? any way thanks for sharing and hh

The "trick", I guess, is in the definition(s). Get creative! Do NOT take in a shovel, scooper, axe, or rake. DO take in a probe, hook, and 5 gallon bucket. I have NEVER been hassled when I've shown my collection of "finds": pop-tops, cans, plastic bottles and such, filling the bucket. Get the picture? Yes, I am fudging a bit on my answer. "I have been told that" some people can dig such a tiny hole that after "filling", you could not tell a hole was dug! Does "foliage" include dead stuff that is composting? Can you move rocks.... to new locations, such as small "scars" made on the land? It is obvious that Fed Law must include MDs. BLM law actualy states that MDs are allowed, and never goes on to regulate their use. I was a Milwaukee, WI police officer for almost 20 years. Meaning, KNOW the law, KNOW your area, and don't be intimidated by a badge. I've said alot without saying much... hope this helps. gl TTC
 
Post Script to the above... I hunted the national park at Jamestown, VA back in my newbie days. As I walked back to the car, a ranger approached, asking if I found anything. I pulled a poptop, bottle cap, foil, pieces of glass, .... and a great big gold plated earing from my pocket.. oops! He told me to "get lost". Gladly! TTC
 
Great pics of a pretty area. Sounds like your best 'find' of the day was your camera after you lost it!
 
RGINN said:
Great pics of a pretty area. Sounds like your best 'find' of the day was your camera after you lost it!

Yes, sir! Thanks for the response, my friend. TTC
 
There's gotta be something there...good luck
 
It's legal to prospect on BLM property with a tector.

So if you were "prospecting" shouldn't you be able to recover the gold/silver/whatever your prospecting for with a digging device :icon_scratch:
 
TerryC said:
Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
glad you got out, but if you cannot dig how did you recover the items? not being critical, because I've been told this before and didn't detect the site cause I couldn't figure out how to recover targets without digging so what is the secret? any way thanks for sharing and hh

The "trick", I guess, is in the definition(s). Get creative! Do NOT take in a shovel, scooper, axe, or rake. DO take in a probe, hook, and 5 gallon bucket. I have NEVER been hassled when I've shown my collection of "finds": pop-tops, cans, plastic bottles and such, filling the bucket. Get the picture? Yes, I am fudging a bit on my answer. "I have been told that" some people can dig such a tiny hole that after "filling", you could not tell a hole was dug! Does "foliage" include dead stuff that is composting? Can you move rocks.... to new locations, such as small "scars" made on the land? It is obvious that Fed Law must include MDs. BLM law actualy states that MDs are allowed, and never goes on to regulate their use. I was a Milwaukee, WI police officer for almost 20 years. Meaning, KNOW the law, KNOW your area, and don't be intimidated by a badge. I've said alot without saying much... hope this helps. gl TTC
Well,first off,being a former officer of the law I would think you should know that these sites(forums)are being monitored by the law,and you have just printed your guilt!Two the land you were on is not B.L.M.,and if it was you have a square nail that is classified as a historical artifact,which is illegal to remove from B.L.M. land.#3 why do you need to invite more people up here that most dont pay heed to private property?Note everything above the highwater mark around the lake is PRIVATE PROPERTY
 
kuger said:
TerryC said:
Ricky1601 aka pull tab king said:
glad you got out, but if you cannot dig how did you recover the items? not being critical, because I've been told this before and didn't detect the site cause I couldn't figure out how to recover targets without digging so what is the secret? any way thanks for sharing and hh

The "trick", I guess, is in the definition(s). Get creative! Do NOT take in a shovel, scooper, axe, or rake. DO take in a probe, hook, and 5 gallon bucket. I have NEVER been hassled when I've shown my collection of "finds": pop-tops, cans, plastic bottles and such, filling the bucket. Get the picture? Yes, I am fudging a bit on my answer. "I have been told that" some people can dig such a tiny hole that after "filling", you could not tell a hole was dug! Does "foliage" include dead stuff that is composting? Can you move rocks.... to new locations, such as small "scars" made on the land? It is obvious that Fed Law must include MDs. BLM law actualy states that MDs are allowed, and never goes on to regulate their use. I was a Milwaukee, WI police officer for almost 20 years. Meaning, KNOW the law, KNOW your area, and don't be intimidated by a badge. I've said alot without saying much... hope this helps. gl TTC
Well,first off,being a former officer of the law I would think you should know that these sites(forums)are being monitored by the law,and you have just printed your guilt!Two the land you were on is not B.L.M.,and if it was you have a square nail that is classified as a historical artifact,which is illegal to remove from B.L.M. land.#3 why do you need to invite more people up here that most dont pay heed to private property?Note everything above the highwater mark around the lake is PRIVATE PROPERTY

Ok, Kuger, you got me. I removed a square nail from federal land. Please lighten up. First, as a former P O, I not only know but expect ANYTHING I put on the internet may come back to haunt me. Google up Van Jones and you'll know what I mean. Where in my post did I say I DUG up ANYTHING? Second, You are right, the land is a national park, not BLM. My original post is not clear on that. Peruse BLM ( for sale) maps Oakdale and San Andreas and tell me there is no BLM land around the Melones. And third but most important to me is that I will invite ANY and ALL of my TNet friends to hunt on any non-private lands I hunt. It is open to all! It is my nature and intent to make this activity as fun for me and my friends as I can. No site is ever hunted out. The better hunters will ALWAYS find more. Sorry. If you would like to speak further, let's take it up as e-mails or call me at 209-728-3316. Please, no more public fight. Take care, friend. TTC
 
I like this. Dig, dig, dig, dug.
 
Cal_Cobra said:
It's legal to prospect on BLM property with a tector.

So if you were "prospecting" shouldn't you be able to recover the gold/silver/whatever your prospecting for with a digging device :icon_scratch:

You CAN recover whatever from most Federal land after getting the proper claim papers. But no commercial enterprize, only recreational, without them. No commercial in National parks. The rangers on Hwy 4, near Arnold, told me "Go for it!" in the Stanislaus National Forest with my MD. They also reminded me not to disturb or remove indian artifacts that are found. TTC
 
Fair enough you will hear from me.Just as a note the land is Army Cor. of Engineers.All I can ask to the Hoards of your followers is just because its not posted(people think its funny to repeatedly tear "NO TRESPASSING',signs down)doesnt mean you can go.I am not threatening but trespassing has gotten out of control up here and landowners are fed up,and some dont call the law. :thumbsup:
 
The Law Requires in most counties that signs be posted at least every 200 yards........@ least in Cali.
 
Amador County advises you that properties are private even when not posted, and that the laws regarding are enforced.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom