What's new

Two gold mines detected

TerryC

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
7,855
Reaction score
11,225
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother, TimC and myself, detected the Gold mines near Hwy 49 at New Melones Reservoir. Minimal success. The first pic shows the foundation of GM1, visible from the 49 bridge across the reservoir (I always thought this was a bridge foundation). Second pic shows its shaft. Pic 3 shows GM2 with TimC standing in its shaft... he is in the middle of the pic, just above the center. This GM is above #1, about 100 yards into the woods. Pic 4 is my finds. A hand-wound iron wire "cordage", a brass rivet from a tool, and a square nail. The last pic is very sad. The Sentinal is dying, just like the mine and miners have. This tree was here before the mine was made and now, alas, after a few hundred years, it too goes. Now.... BEWARE! The ranger at this FEDERAL park (Mark Twain Rec Area) warned we could detect but we could NOT dig or destroy any foliage! We had a good time. This site is rated EASY, with parking nearby. Come on down and good luck! TTC
 

Attachments

  • Gold.webp
    Gold.webp
    128.6 KB · Views: 3,705
  • Shaft.webp
    Shaft.webp
    191.8 KB · Views: 3,687
  • Middle.webp
    Middle.webp
    242.1 KB · Views: 3,698
  • Relics.webp
    Relics.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,644
  • Tree.webp
    Tree.webp
    199.8 KB · Views: 3,609
Upvote 0
Just got back in town looking over post,was not trying to make trouble CAL COBRA. Was just stating,I have an old friend who is a sheriff in mariposa county.when him and I had the discussion about private property,He says there the biggest pain in the ass calls . Because it take up there time from trying to stop real crimes. Not saying that trespassing is not a crime just low priority. So I understand what Kuger is saying about landowners handling it themselves. I meant no disrespect CAL COBRA, But if you want to sling crap my way Lets do it. Also if the moderators of this site feel I'm out of line feel free to dis-continue my admission to this site. But please look at the statements prior to this post . I do not think I was out of line.
 
ridgehunter58 said:
Just got back in town looking over post,was not trying to make trouble CAL COBRA. Was just stating,I have an old friend who is a sheriff in mariposa county.when him and I had the discussion about private property,He says there the biggest pain in the ass calls . Because it take up there time from trying to stop real crimes. Not saying that trespassing is not a crime just low priority. So I understand what Kuger is saying about landowners handling it themselves. I meant no disrespect CAL COBRA, But if you want to sling crap my way Lets do it. Also if the moderators of this site feel I'm out of line feel free to dis-continue my admission to this site. But please look at the statements prior to this post . I do not think I was out of line.

You weren't out of line. You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. Some of the people here are just drama queens.
 
ridgehunter58 said:
Just got back in town looking over post,was not trying to make trouble CAL COBRA. Was just stating,I have an old friend who is a sheriff in mariposa county.when him and I had the discussion about private property,He says there the biggest pain in the ass calls . Because it take up there time from trying to stop real crimes. Not saying that trespassing is not a crime just low priority. So I understand what Kuger is saying about landowners handling it themselves. I meant no disrespect CAL COBRA, But if you want to sling crap my way Lets do it. Also if the moderators of this site feel I'm out of line feel free to dis-continue my admission to this site. But please look at the statements prior to this post . I do not think I was out of line.

No worries here, just seemed like this thread was taking a turn for the worst over a seemingly benevolent post. I can certainly understand property owners handling trespassing issues themselves from some of the stories I've heard.
 
kuger said:
tapoutking said:
kuger said:
Fair enough you will hear from me.Just as a note the land is Army Cor. of Engineers.All I can ask to the Hoards of your followers is just because its not posted(people think its funny to repeatedly tear "NO TRESPASSING',signs down)doesnt mean you can go.I am not threatening but trespassing has gotten out of control up here and landowners are fed up,and some dont call the law. :thumbsup:

Veiled threat imo. On one hand you are asking people to stay away because its "Federal Land" of which taxpayers money is used to purchase/upkeep etc. and then in the same breath telling everyone to stay away because if someone accidentally (or not) trespasses onto your land you may or may not call the law thereby insinuating that you will take the law into your own hands. So, if anyone here has shown to be guilty of exposing themselves it would be you. And on a personal note, if you take the law into your own hands as you have stated, based on your post I hope you come out on the short end of your effort to hand out your version of the law. :thumbsup:

O.K. wise guy....go back and read what I said(if you can)I never said it was up to me whether or not you could detect federal land,I dont make the law!You as well as the poster should learn the law.I have to abide by it as well.I never said I had any control over federal land,I too wish I could do many things on that land I cannot,but I am a law abiding citizen,and found it amazing that a guy goes on to state how to "get away",with it!Do you think the Rangers are stupid?Test the waters for yourself,I do not give a damn!I also never said I would take the law into my hands,I do not own property,just warning you city folk that come up here and just think you can go wherever you please it isnt so!Can I come detect your yard?Veiled threat?I choose to not argue on here,just trying to make it known how it is. :thumbsup:


lol, "City folk"? First time I've ever been called that lol. I assume that was meant as some kind of insult. I'm sure "City Folk" would take offense to ........... what would you be? Red neck country Folk? You understand that the "city folks" that you think so little of look at you as an uneducated halfwit right? Is that why you have hatered fro "City Folk"?
Anyway, my love of the land federal or not comes from my time in the military and my affinity for multi day backpacking treks into the Eastern Sierras and the Sespe. I replied to your post simply because you found it necessary to be insulting when there was no need to. As you said, "You do not own property" so why do you find yourself here "warning all us city folk" and then asking if you could come detect my yard? Well, I am a land owner and when the day comes that you become one, we can have a discussion regarding private land ownership laws and detecting each others yards.......when you become a land owner that is... Until then, you keep warning them horrible City Slickers about coming up and visiting your.......eeeerrrrrrr someone elses land up north and obiding by the law otherwise they will feel the wrath of the ..... um.........Non City Folk...... :thumbsup:
 
I meant to add a comment to your post but better late than never, LOL. Exciting area to hunt and great pictures! Do you know where the miners lived? Good luck and HH, Mike
 
hey terry!!! i bet your glad you posted ::) geez ;D nice pics. willy
 
I think sometimes Mr. K gets heated because he actually takes the time to ASK permission and develop relaionships with the land owners. I know he has at least one guy who he has repeately warned because the guy trespassed on land he was working on getting permission to hunt and the guy found a bunch of stuff up there that K probably thought should have been his, because he either had or was working on getting permission.
Guess he really has a thing for this guy because he continuously trespasses on private property.
I watched him tear this guy a new one on another forum, until the guy got booted. K is still there.
Guess the guy must have been "trespassing" on the other forum! :laughing7:

I personally don't trespass because I don't want this to be a hobby where I have to look over my shoulder. I hate park hunting for that reason. There are already plenty of people with badges who think they are "gods gift" to law enforcement. The more of these yahoos I can avoid, the better off I am. I was used as an example in a city park a while back. The ranger was training a "lady ranger", so he had to "show her how it was done". I tried to ignore them both and stated that there were no signs stating it was "illegal" to dig. After a little while he says, "Look, I'm tryin to keep you from gettin a ticket". I left, because the spokeshole ruined my day, not because he was right.
When you are dealing with an attitude with a badge, there's no getten around it. Sure my attitude stunk, but only AFTER they started giving me grief. I figured if they are going to ruin my day, then I should make it as hard as possible for them to do what they think is their job.
I'm generally ok with cops as long as they are arresting drunks and drug addicts, but I was not doing any damage and the guy just used me as a "training exercise for his rookie".
Back to the subject:
I can totally understand when you are upstaged by an "interloper" when you feel like you should have gotten first dibs at a place because you asked permission. On the other hand, how far do you want to take it?
Pretty soon, the Mojave and other open desert will be entirely off limits because we have a couple of idiot politicians (Feinstein and Boxer) who have most likely never even set foot in the Mojave "saving it for future generations", (who will also never be able to walk on it or use it). Should we ask "permission" to use land that is our own, but the FEDS say is THEIRS?
Everybody has to determine what is right for themselves. It doesn't make it right, but if you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions, then in the end, you have to live with what you decide.
 
coinshooter said:
I think sometimes Mr. K gets heated because he actually takes the time to ASK permission and develop relaionships with the land owners. I know he has at least one guy who he has repeately warned because the guy trespassed on land he was working on getting permission to hunt and the guy found a bunch of stuff up there that K probably thought should have been his, because he either had or was working on getting permission.
Guess he really has a thing for this guy because he continuously trespasses on private property.
I watched him tear this guy a new one on another forum, until the guy got booted. K is still there.
Guess the guy must have been "trespassing" on the other forum! :laughing7:

I personally don't trespass because I don't want this to be a hobby where I have to look over my shoulder. I hate park hunting for that reason. There are already plenty of people with badges who think they are "gods gift" to law enforcement. The more of these yahoos I can avoid, the better off I am. I was used as an example in a city park a while back. The ranger was training a "lady ranger", so he had to "show her how it was done". I tried to ignore them both and stated that there were no signs stating it was "illegal" to dig. After a little while he says, "Look, I'm tryin to keep you from gettin a ticket". I left, because the spokeshole ruined my day, not because he was right.
When you are dealing with an attitude with a badge, there's no getten around it. Sure my attitude stunk, but only AFTER they started giving me grief. I figured if they are going to ruin my day, then I should make it as hard as possible for them to do what they think is their job.
I'm generally ok with cops as long as they are arresting drunks and drug addicts, but I was not doing any damage and the guy just used me as a "training exercise for his rookie".
Back to the subject:
I can totally understand when you are upstaged by an "interloper" when you feel like you should have gotten first dibs at a place because you asked permission. On the other hand, how far do you want to take it?
Pretty soon, the Mojave and other open desert will be entirely off limits because we have a couple of idiot politicians (Feinstein and Boxer) who have most likely never even set foot in the Mojave "saving it for future generations", (who will also never be able to walk on it or use it). Should we ask "permission" to use land that is our own, but the FEDS say is THEIRS?
Everybody has to determine what is right for themselves. It doesn't make it right, but if you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions, then in the end, you have to live with what you decide.

Interesting.
Newt
 
What kind of building is that in the third picture?? There are a couple really old foundations just like this one a few miles from where I live, It's out by these giant hills, now there are big trees all around it. I know it is very old, I can't find anyone who knows anything about it. I live in southern michigan. I've been trying to find out for years what this place was.
 
Check with your local historical society.....First photo shows what probably was the foundation for the 20 stamp mill,built 1898 or so at the Norwegian mine.Third photo,possibly for a primary crusher.This was a very good mine but lacked the ore tonnage to justify all the stamps.Likely still rich but inacessable.Rich higrade quartz was found drilling for the bridge foundations in picture #1.
 
You can also use MapQuest to find geographical structures.

http://www.mapquest.com/

Once you have zeroed in on your location click the "Aerial" button at the top of the map and you will see the actual satellite image of your site.

This seems to work well and it doesn't gobble up computer resources like Google does. In fact you will not have to download any application at all.

I agree nice photos! These are certainly treasures too!


dig4gold
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom