Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two of my favorite points, that I got when I was a teenager. Several centuries ago. The first is made out of Flint Ridge, Ohio flint. It was found 400 miles east of Flint Ridge. Does anyone know what point type it is, or is it a cache blade? My archaeologist friend who was with me at the time had a cow! Almost literally! The same day I found a worn out quartz Clovis about 100' away and a HUGE three quarter groove ax. There had been a flood! Oh, those were the days. The color resolution is "off". It shows too much brown, in reality its main color is a light grey-blue. That is typical of Flint Ridge. It is pretty thin in cross section. My archaeologist friend, now long gone, gave me a name. I'll get your opinions and then tell all. Of course I was itsy bitsy back then and not sure I remembered right, but boy, I still have a mental image of that puppy coming out of the ground!

IMG_2954.JPG IMG_2955.JPG

The second is another dovetail. This one is made of (I think) the Coshockton Flint. It was found about 150 miles east of the occurrence of the Conshockton flint in Ohio. IMG_2956.JPG

The first one is about 4" long, the dark one about 2.5" long. Let me know if you have any ideas on the first one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had them almost 50 years now. I'll try to get a better daylight picture tomorrow. I always get confused between this point and an almost identical one I have - that one is around here somewhere, but it came from Ohio.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice to reminisce & enjoy finding them all over again. I don't think the blade is a preform but I'm not sure. Both are very nice.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now with a couple replies my archaeologist friend thought it was an Adena preform. It is very thin in cross section, so I don't think that's it. That's why I posted this.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an outdoor picture. IMG_2959.JPG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I will have to look up the Stansfield point. Been gone all day.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the Stanfield point and had a cow. The Stanfields are transitional Paleo. Now that's old! Their range is west and primarily south of here, however, that said, it was found 400 miles from the source of the flint anyway, and we know the Paleo peoples traveled. There were some other points that looked similar. The Adena blade can be ruled out, not even a close match.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look up Cobbs too. Thanks. It is definitely Flint Ridge, Ohio Flint. The Cobbs is different (I looked before I forgot to look), and the Cobbs are a lot cruder and have a beveling this one does not.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions