What's new

TWO rings and a whatsit

USMCLion

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
94
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Finally got back out, first time in a couple of weeks. Hit the tide wrong but it was the only time I could get out. There was an outrigger canoe race so the parking lots were all jammed but not many people in the water, worked out great for me. Hit the gold first, which came in at 4.9 grams of 14k. The tungston got my heart going when I saw it in the scoop, I thought it was plat. Anyway, that has a nice diamond in it and suprisingly costs $370 retail (who would spend that much on tungston when they could get gold cheaper). Last, while digging a pull tab, that tooth (I think) came up in my scoop. Has anyone ever seen one like this? Its razor sharp on the one end. Petty good day, I need to get out more often.
 

Attachments

  • 130.webp
    130.webp
    81.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 131.webp
    131.webp
    61.9 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0
The "Whatsit" Looks like a "C" to me. ;D Rings are always nice. Gold is even better.
 
hmmm, have to watch this one & see what the whatsit is. nice ring!
 
The whatsit almost looks like to me a and earring (EXTREME) piercing .
 
looks like just a peice of a broken shell to me .wheres the gold?
 
snooksion2 said:
looks like just a peice of a broken shell to me .wheres the gold?

Picture came out big, you have to scroll tot he right
 
Looking at the stamp on the ring I was trying to figure out what the OB stood for. All I came up with was an old jewlery company called Ostby & Barton. I don't think that is it because everythinh I could find from them was old and very ornate. I'm hoping it doesn't mean that it is plated or something.
 
Allright Ryan!!!
Nice finds. :icon_thumleft:
What is the circle item made of? If it is bone or ivory, it could be the remains of an ancient Hawaiian fish hook.
Alec
 
Thanks Alec, looks like bone to me. I was thinking it looks lsort of like the item on some of the traditional necklaces. Its definetly natural whatever it is. Any idea on the 14k markings?
 
Most probably Ostby and Barton... They made a lot of jewelry in the 40's and 50's, and a wedding band could easily be from that time frame...
Nice finds..
 
Ryan if you don't already know, Kaneohe Marine base has many ancient Hawaiian artifacts. Put it back where you got it if it is indeed bone. The bluffs out there are full of bones, as this is a old burial ground for the ancient Hawaiians. Nice rings brother!!!


Ken
 
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D
 
USMCLion said:
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D

Aw man...You fell for the old trick to get you to reveal the location of your finds :P.
 
The whatit look like a nose pies. off an old Tarzan movie .
 
Da Sand Crab said:
USMCLion said:
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D

Aw man...You fell for the old trick to get you to reveal the location of your finds :P.

Not like its a secret spot Alec. I saw no less than 20 excals go by on Saturday. That spot gets worked over pretty hard, but there is plenty of goodies there if your willing to clean the junk out to get to it. I've got 7 rings in my last 3 trips there. I think the ring to pull tab ratio is 6 mil to 1. I spend a few hours there and didn't get more than 50 yards covered
 
USMCLion said:
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D

Nah, I was just kidding anyway. I would'nt worry about the the crazy bone thing, it's just a thing. Am very happy that you are finding some goodies. I have'nt been going much at all and when I have gone, I've not found anything note worthy.
 
Da Sand Crab said:
USMCLion said:
Thanks Ken, I didn't find it on Base. I found it at Kailua Beach south of the river mouth. I actually think its a tooth of some sort. Thats why I was asking if anyone knew if it camefrom a certain fish or anything. I'll probably put it back anyway, no need to mess with my mojo ;D

Nah, I was just kidding anyway. I would'nt worry about the the crazy bone thing, it's just a thing. Am very happy that you are finding some goodies. I have'nt been going much at all and when I have gone, I've not found anything note worthy.

You and me both Alec. I haven't been metal detecting for awhile now, been sooooooo busy. South of the river you says huh Ryan? Sometimes i just can't stand mding out there because of allllllll the dang pulltabs!!!!! But, congrats again on the ring finds!!!!!

Ken
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom