Type of hoe maybe?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi.

This was found in New England woods near a stone foundation bu a tree. It’s very crude looking. My guess is that it was a type of hoe or land furrowing tool...but only a guess. Any ideas as to function? Age? Does it look hand foraged?

As always...Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1611604131.346009.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1611604139.644076.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1611604150.545127.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's a hand forged colonial period hoe! Nice find. I have dug two - ever! I cleaned it with a bristle brush and tack hammer with 1/4" chisel for the big rust, then outside put it in a baking pan with a lot of melted microcrystalline wax and heated the whole thing up until the iron started to bubble and continued until the bubbles were gone. The air and moisture are driven out and the wax fills the pores to preserve it.

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I was maybe looking for some nylon stockings :), but yes I do think that it is a hand forged hoe but another mystery is the size of the hole for the handle is large which doesn't fit the hoe thing. We use to have a heavier version of a hoe which we called a "pick ax" which did have a heavier handle. Anyway a great find.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fair amount of the "wings" of the hoe have worn away with time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, it's a hand forged colonial period hoe! Nice find. I have dug two - ever! I cleaned it with a bristle brush and tack hammer with 1/4" chisel for the big rust, then outside put it in a baking pan with a lot of melted microcrystalline wax and heated the whole thing up until the iron started to bubble and continued until the bubbles were gone. The air and moisture are driven out and the wax fills the pores to preserve it.

Thank you smokeythecat for your ID and for the specific method of preserving. I have put it through electrolysis to expose more if it but it is already rerusting as I hadn’t applied anything for preservation yet. Hmmm I will have to try the wax method! I am happy to hear of the age...so...maybe mid to late 1700s? Yes..the wings seem a bit fragile.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At first I was maybe looking for some nylon stockings :), but yes I do think that it is a hand forged hoe but another mystery is the size of the hole for the handle is large which doesn't fit the hoe thing. We use to have a heavier version of a hoe which we called a "pick ax" which did have a heavier handle. Anyway a great find.

Thanks bowinkles! LOL Hope you weren’t disappointed. I love finding hand forged items! It makes me wonder whose handiwork it is and who used it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought hoe, but because of the large hole I thought adz?

Wow....Thanks, Tony! I had to look up the adz tool...for shaping wood! The edges are so worn it’s hard to tell what the original shape was. I appreciate the input!

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a bit light for an adz..

Looks like an old metal shoe form...

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you smokeythecat for your ID and for the specific method of preserving. I have put it through electrolysis to expose more if it but it is already rerusting as I hadn’t applied anything for preservation yet. Hmmm I will have to try the wax method! I am happy to hear of the age...so...maybe mid to late 1700s? Yes..the wings seem a bit fragile.
Thanks again!
Had a hull of a steel boat done, tarped, and the company wanted to prime 30 minutes after a section was done. Rust starts to re-appear.
Kind of crazy when I thought about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with that large of a hole in the head and the skinny tool surface(when compared to a hoe) it reminds me of those tree planting tools, they swing like a pickaxe to sink into ground then lever up on the handle to create a hole for the sapling. hard to say though, its pretty rusted out.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think they called em a "hoedad"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions