ug new-bees trashed the local (small) park...Waymart Pa.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:o I'm learning I really have no patience for stupid people...my girl friend suggested we check out an old school site converted to a small town park on the way home from detecting in the heat this Sunday...I was still wanting to hunt, even in the 90 something heat and it was on the way home. we stopped in and I started detecting the little shady areas in the park - two brats came as we where there just out of our site and trashed the place- crushed cans and wrappers- we had both passed that spot coming in and it was clean before the little beasts messed it up. I picked up about 10 cans- the lawn mower there mows them...and what finally set me off was seeing a few holes that someone dug and did not recover a coin from (because I checked it and recovered their coin from their sad attempt to cut a plug.) they covered the hole with grass clippings. :blob8: :cussing: I would assume they didn't have a pin pointer to miss the penny they missed. I would also assume they really didn't put the time in to learn their machine either...
I found this pink ring there. no idea- no markings so it's probably costume jewelry, but it was really shiny and a Dr friend of my girlfriend's who saw it says it might be white gold...no idea. but it made me feel better, after seeing the dumb stuff people did in that park I'm not likely going back there- so I don't get in trouble for messing that place up...Waymart Pa if your new to detecting - PM me... I'd be happy to show you how to dig a good plug, and even show you what little I know...this is my first year detecting myself...sorry about the bad camera phone pics...

Attachments

• pinkring.jpg
    pinkring.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG00313.jpg
    IMG00313.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 275
That really p*sses me off, but is all too common nowdays.
Iv, offered to mentor some of those types but as well teach a cat calculus.
so if they don,t listen I call Police or park ranger.
may lead to a ban on detecting such areas,but I,d rather the locals remember Me as one who cared.
detecting may be just a get rich scheme of the week to some,but Iv,e been detecting for 35+years,and it has always been the history that matters,I have not gotten rich.
We cannot let these punks become the death of Our Hobby.
HH,Mont

I just started detecting this year, and figure I enjoy it enough that I want to keep doing it...when someone digs a hole and fills it with grass I can't say they really cared enough to do it right...sadder fact is when I recover what they were digging for and I have to fill in their mess...ok that made me mad. I totally don't want to take the blame for messing some place up - and it's a really small park with maybe 6 benches and a gazebo. I find it really sad that some people just don't care...I dug a lot of junk there, beer cans, pull tabs, the usual clad change...I can say for the most part I cleaned the place up before I left there- picking up cans and trash. I just hope that in 30 years I can still be allowed to detect. :wink: I want that. hopefully people that are making messes will come around, and there was no one there at the time but my girlfriend and I- the two kids came around, messed the place up and left. if someone else was there I'd have talked to them and showed them the right way to recover stuff with out making a mess.. I had to learn it on here before I knew what was right myself. I had people complaining about my not using head phones when I first started out...so I know about what it's like to just start out...anyhow I do what I can... :read2:

mfitzy111 said:
I just started detecting this year, and figure I enjoy it enough that I want to keep doing it...when someone digs a hole and fills it with grass I can't say they really cared enough to do it right...sadder fact is when I recover what they were digging for and I have to fill in their mess...ok that made me mad. I totally don't want to take the blame for messing some place up - and it's a really small park with maybe 6 benches and a gazebo. I find it really sad that some people just don't care...I dug a lot of junk there, beer cans, pull tabs, the usual clad change...I can say for the most part I cleaned the place up before I left there- picking up cans and trash. I just hope that in 30 years I can still be allowed to detect. :wink: I want that. hopefully people that are making messes will come around, and there was no one there at the time but my girlfriend and I- the two kids came around, messed the place up and left. if someone else was there I'd have talked to them and showed them the right way to recover stuff with out making a mess.. I had to learn it on here before I knew what was right myself. I had people complaining about my not using head phones when I first started out...so I know about what it's like to just start out...anyhow I do what I can... :read2:

Headphones? Are we supposed to use them? If so i never knew

that ring is a beauty! is it real???

As for the headphones, I use them so people don't hear what I'm doing cause then they come running!

I get steamed at the ignorance of the people trashing parks, also. What really get me though is digging the pull tabs that were designed to REMAIN on the can. Why do so many people go out of their way to work those off and throw them on the ground?
luvsdux

Just keep in mind those people are most likely only in it because they expect to find a pot of gold. If they missed a penny, then they will likely get fed up with it all pretty soon, and there will be another "barely used" detector on E-bay......

Personally the only time I leave anything in a hole is if it's so big I'd have to make a real mess pulling it out. But I don't tend to dig those kind of signals in parks anyway so no problem. AND I do my best t make sure no-one will know I was ever there when I leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back