What's new

uhm....701 what?

mile-ender

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
472
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging one of my usual parks and dug this up yesterday. Lead, a little over 3 inches across (about the size of a buckle), and appears to have been painted yellow at one point. The number doesn't correspond to the street numbers, so I'm wondering what it could have been for.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3951.webp
    IMG_3951.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3952.webp
    IMG_3952.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 339
telephone pole id
 
Upvote 0
Could it be a marker for US route 701?
 
Upvote 0
I say its the ID badge off of the front of a fireman's helmet or something similar.
 
Upvote 0
This is just an off the wall guess but the park and rec dept. here puts 3 digit numbers on the picnic tables in the parks. I guess this is to ID them if they get stolen or damaged and need to be repaired.

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
I was about to agree with the telephone pole marker, but then I saw the brads. I don't see how it could be braded to a wooden pole? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Could be a motorman or bus driver hat badge.
 
Upvote 0
If it came off of a fire hlemet the numbers would stand for the engine or truck that they worked on. Something like Engine 701. Could possibly be off of a utility workers helmet too for that matter. Not sure just think that 72cheyenne had a good idea thats all. Cool find though.
 
Upvote 0
I agree it most likely went on leather. If its lead I can't see it being any good on a fireman hat (low melting point).
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I agree it most likely went on leather. If its lead I can't see it being any good on a fireman hat (low melting point).

Lead's melting point is over 600F (315C). I don't think that even the modern plastics and composites on helmets withstand those temperatures without deforming or melting. In saying that, I still think it is plausible to be a hat badge. If not to a fireman, maybe a utility worker?
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom