Ultra violet light, and the color of gold

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on you tube and saw a video that you can use an ultra violet light to spot gold in the dark, and many other minerals as well, and I thought if I could mount an ultraviloet light to my home sluice in the garage if I would be able to spot the gold right away? Has anyone tried this?And do you think it would be worth it?:icon_scratch:

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video by Gold Hog where they used ultraviolet light to show the gold collecting in their mats, but i believe that they said that they had dipped the gold in something to cause it to glow first. It was pretty cool to watch though.

OP
OP
Whitesmxt66

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video by Gold Hog where they used ultraviolet light to show the gold collecting in their mats, but i believe that they said that they had dipped the gold in something to cause it to glow first. It was pretty cool to watch though.

I have not seen that video, I will have to see if I can find it again, and post it. It just seemed to simple. Along with the videos of panning all purpose sand from Home Depot, and finding gold?? Never thought about it. Thanks for your response.

OP
OP
Whitesmxt66

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I thought so when I saw it.

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to goldhog.com and click on videos, it is the 6th video down called "The science of gold hog matting" It states that they used a UV paint.

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have natural tungsten mixed in your gravel, a black light will tell you where it's settling out. Because tungsten is close to gold in weight, it can be useful. Sheelite will glow blue, and wolfemite will glow gold color.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold does not glow but some of the associated minerals do, as stated above. There are some glow minerals worth more than gold so don't throw away the black light just yet! TTC

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya on that Terry! I've been wanting to get a Good UV light that has both long and short wave settings to start hunting for florescent minerals out here. With all of the different stuff we have on the property alone SOMETHING has got to react! Besides it's not going to be long before it will be too freaking hot here to be standing at a sluice all day or hauling materials. This I can do at night when it's below 100 degrees.:hello2:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do make diamonds in the rough glow but gold hahaha photoshop at work again. Scorpions glow real nice too-John

OP
OP
Whitesmxt66

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, maybe I will give it a shot anyways. Who knows what else I might be able to find. i thought it was kind of cool, if it actually worked. Thanks to all for there outlooks on this subject. Good luck to all!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minerals, Fossils, and Fluorescents of Arizona.... Neal R. Bearce. Required reading! A list with directions for over 85 sites. TTC

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
I was told once. To use the color of light to help see that same color item. So a yellow light shining on gold would reflect more light. Than a green light. I have used a red and blue led light and the gold does stand out better at close range. I guess this could be a project for someone.

TT

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told once. To use the color of light to help see that same color item. So a yellow light shining on gold would reflect more light. Than a green light. I have used a red and blue led light and the gold does stand out better at close range. I guess this could be a project for someone.

TT
Interesting. I will put that on my "to try" list.Tnx, TT. TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TT

Experiment lol

OP
OP
Whitesmxt66

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I never thought of using the like color light thing before, it makes sense. I will have to try it. Yeah the video I watched made it look like you were using a standard spotlight and looking for gator eyes glowing in the dark. I am trying it anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread