Unbelievable 1733 8 reale error treasure coin

Relic_Rick

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2023
Hello All, this will be my first post here on TreasureNet. But definitely not the last.

I’d first like to personally thank Blak Bart for getting the buzz going amongst us on the prospects of finding coins and goodies from this dig in the first place.

If it wasn’t for him, the fill dirt from which the coin was found, would probably never had made it here for me to find.

With that said I would like to share a few more pictures of the original coin as well as the copy I had made to help uncover the most we can about this particularly unique gem.

And I must say, if I hadn’t had a copy made to send to the jeweler in the process of having a setting made. I may never have noticed the error.

Besides the right side pillar being significantly higher on the coin than the left pillar. I also noticed the “Old World” globe on the right side is not touching the “earth” either. So, there’s another thing to look into.

As far as justifying this as a genuine coin from 1733. I have been directed to search the vast archives of The Bank of Mexico as that’s where record of the original Planchet would be found and verified. Even if there was only a single run of the particular planchet. It would be recorded there.

Unfortunately for me, I don’t speak Spanish. So I’ll be working to first figure out how to work the request. Then, translate it to Spanish for the emails.

Fingers crossed this works. In the meantime. Please share any thoughts you might have.

Also, I have garnered a tremendous amount of information coming to me since this error was recognized and I have a lot more to share in future posts. So stay tuned….
IMG_1626.jpeg

Attachments

• _com.apple.Pasteboard.HePRgU.jpeg
    _com.apple.Pasteboard.HePRgU.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 5

Relic_Rick

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2023
And just so everyone can see the details a little more clearly. I will add two photos of the copy. And even though the copy does not have the same detail as the original. For me, the black contrasts help to look deeper into the details of the amazing craftsmanship that went into it.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpeg
    IMG_2854.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2849.jpeg
    IMG_2849.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Relic_Rick

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2023
I’ll also add these three photos. The first is the coin on the scale the day I found it along with a brass nail that I found the same day as the coin was found.

I have to say. I literally walk the property for weeks after and have looked around after every heavy rain since. 🤞🏽

Attachments

• IMG_7579.jpeg
    IMG_7579.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 64531060377__13AB85E2-69AE-4B19-BAFB-80814A53071A.jpeg
    64531060377__13AB85E2-69AE-4B19-BAFB-80814A53071A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 64531057511__FAEF7CFD-D7DC-4C16-813F-AFE24F23A970.jpeg
    64531057511__FAEF7CFD-D7DC-4C16-813F-AFE24F23A970.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...welcome aboard Rick...hope this community can give you some advice, and now we can here from the true finder of this beauty. Lots to consider about how to document these anomalies. I'm sure we love to see some of your finds from keywest too !! Glad your here buddy !!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The planchet is just the blank disc that they use to make a coin. The die is where all the detail is engraved to impart onto the planchet. Any major variations in the coins produced indicates a new die has been used. Wear, polishing, trapped debris, or other damage to the die can cause slight variations and/or omissions.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ll also add these three photos. The first is the coin on the scale the day I found it along with a brass nail that I found the same day as the coin was found.

I have to say. I literally walk the property for weeks after and have looked around after every heavy rain since. 🤞🏽
Welcome aboard the forums, and certainly a hardy congrats on the big silver recovery.
I will never find a coin as that here, though I have a bronze spike very similar to yours.

20231222_144922.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These coins just weren't made like todays coins, minor differences are normal. Every die was cut by hand and there are going to be differences in every die made. There were even circulating counterfeits during the period. It's a great and iconic coin, but don't get too hung up on differences from coin to coin, they are all different!

Relic_Rick

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2023
Welcome aboard the forums, and certainly a hardy congrats on the big silver recovery.
I will never find a coin as that here, though I have a bronze spike very similar to yours.

View attachment 2121615
Thank you for the welcome. That is an impressive display you have there. I’m very big into old bottles myself. Most of my relic and coins finds are by eye. I’ve been a searcher for as long as I can remember.

Relic_Rick

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2023
These coins just weren't made like today’s coins, minor differences are normal. Every die was cut by hand and there are going to be differences in every die made. There were even circulating counterfeits during the period. It's a great and iconic coin, but don't get too hung up on differences from coin to coin, they are all different!
Thank you for your comment. I have researched as much as possible in the short time since I’ve noticed the error a few weeks ago, I’ve also studied the details and poor craftsmanship of counterfeits of the same era for the 2 plus years I’ve had this one and I certainly have a lot to learn.

But I will say. I’ve seen recently made pennies, nickels & dimes valued at ridiculous amounts because of errors and defects.

So I’ll ask, would you personally put the value of one of the rarest coins around with a very visible error at the same amount as a “regular” coin of the same linage?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your comment. I have researched as much as possible in the short time since I’ve noticed the error a few weeks ago, I’ve also studied the details and poor craftsmanship of counterfeits of the same era for the 2 plus years I’ve had this one and I certainly have a lot to learn.

But I will say. I’ve seen recently made pennies, nickels & dimes valued at ridiculous amounts because of errors and defects.

So I’ll ask, would you personally put the value of one of the rarest coins around with a very visible error at the same amount as a “regular” coin of the same linage?
Yes, these differences are not considered errors, just differences in the way the die was engraved. There has to be a collector demand for these varieties for there to be premium in value. If there is a pretty large collector base for these by die variety, there could be a premium for some varieties. Without collectors who collect by variety, then there wouldn’t be much difference. I can’t say for sure how many collect these by variety. While I don’t collect these specifically, I do collect other coins of the same era by die variety.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread