Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who knows me here on t-net knows I've had a fair share of success finding 1733 fleet treasure !! Well others have shared with me in this success, and it's been especially exciting in the last few years. I was involved in a treasure cache with some others and it turned out to be quite a haul, with a half dozen people all getting good amounts of coins and artifacts from a beach renourishment dig !! But these big milled spanish 8 reales are some of the most prized finds from this incredible dig. Well recently one of these finds was getting put in a bezel, when everyone noticed an error !! SAY WHAT !! A treasure coin that's already rare and valuable has an error ?? Well it's for real here it is a couple years later after being noticed!!
IMG_20231213_055647_819.jpg

The floating pillar not attached to the waves !! Lots of searching, and my own experience, and not a single match. Experts seem stumped, and we may be driving up to sedwick coins to have it looked at over Christmas break. It came from the same cache as these, and it's clear.....its a different planchet with an error. A 1733 pillar is as rare as hens teeth, and this has never been seen before (we think)
20210219_180446.jpg

One expert from melfishers treasures (the expert) had never seen this planchet and was shaking a bit holding it. Still researching, and don't want to get over excited, but its looking good so far.
20210217_165142.jpg
20210217_162728.jpg

Digging the cache !!

I can't imagine what this would do at sedgwick or heritage auctions if everything can be verified and official!! These coins are already rare and expensive!! So happy for my friend who found this one.....this just might be the ONE !!

Here's a link to my original post.....at this time no one had noticed this floating pillar, and my friend went to have the coin mounted in a bezel, and then it was noticed.....this was last week !!

Thread 'More treasure found...1733 pillar dollar !!' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/more-treasure-found-1733-pillar-dollar.656316/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can this be a banner find? It definitely should be…
Nope...not my find, even though I led everyone to it....I could not hide the location with an entire road crew digging for me....once they saw me there getting coins in the dirt.....well everyone started looking !! They scooped the mother lode and hauled it away to keywest !! Back in keywest coins and "treasure" were found. This one got picked up in keywest weeks-months later !! Ill link the stories up !! The whole dig happened for months !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a detectorist who uses a backhoe for detecting.

:P
Well ya see ARC....thats what I waited on for years.....Chuck "shaggy cannon" Mitchell told me that if they ever dig up the beach and road there you need to be there !! He died, and then this happened a few years later......the road crew dug it up with heavy equipment, and I was there waiting for them to hit the treasure spot....they dug 8 feet down and scooped the treasure up
20210216_132310.jpg
20210215_142110.jpg

They then back filled (with treasure laden sand) and capped it with nylon and brick mat material!! Since then it's been filled and built another foot sealing the remaining treasure !! Thats islamoradamark searching before they dug deep !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disguised as Lt. Dan!
The road crew was super cool, and at the end of the day they parked on top of the spot.....they spread some sand around and left for the night.....we searched !!
20210217_165142.jpg
20210217_162625.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ya see ARC....thats what I waited on for years.....Chuck "shaggy cannon" Mitchell told me that if they ever dig up the beach and road there you need to be there !! He died, and then this happened a few years later......the road crew dug it up with heavy equipment, and I was there waiting for them to hit the treasure spot....they dug 8 feet down and scooped the treasure up View attachment 2120200 View attachment 2120201
They then back filled (with treasure laden sand) and capped it with nylon and brick mat material!! Since then it's been filled and built another foot sealing the remaining treasure !! Thats islamoradamark searching before they dug deep !!
I remember the story and pictures from when it happened and you posted in The Random Chat Thread.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20231213_055647_819.jpg

But this is seriously a crazy ending to this....if it ever really ends ?? A different planchet, or die, I'm not sure of the terminology? But something is going on with the floating pillar !!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Floating Pillar. Sounds like a title to an adventure story. Can't wait to see what the overall consensus is on that coin and what it might be possibly worth.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic find!!! Excuse my ignorance about 1733 fleet treasure, but was the treasure found by you probably washed up on the shore like on the treasure coast? Or did the coast get silted in and cover one of the galleons?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Floating Pillar. Sounds like a title to an adventure story. Can't wait to see what the overall consensus is on that coin and what it might be possibly worth.
Yup...me too ultimately its up to my friend, but we may drive up and have some experts look at it. Cross your fingers.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic find!!! Excuse my ignorance about 1733 fleet treasure, but was the treasure found by you probably washed up on the shore like on the treasure coast? Or did the coast get silted in and cover one of the galleons?
It was found by a friend from the same coins as this link sir

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 2120204
But this is seriously a crazy ending to this....if it ever really ends ?? A different planchet, or die, I'm not sure of the terminology? But something is going on with the floating pillar !!
Really need a coin makers opinion. Well ,coin folks in the know anyways...

A gob of something in the die padding the base of the pillar or where it should rest perhaps. More than grease? But not as hard as a piece of metal?
A piece of felt comes to mind. No , I don't even have an idea how felt would be involved...But I'm leaning towards a single strike (or more) of a foreign material in the die. A chive in your teeth type set up or something...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The road crew was super cool, and at the end of the day they parked on top of the spot.....they spread some sand around and left for the night.....we searched !! View attachment 2120202 View attachment 2120203
I'd have been so freakin geeked up cranked up jumping around!
Cripes. I can recall how excited I was hitting dirt piles in a park with nothing anywhere near that old. Just knowing stuff was there.
I might have fought a tiger off over a dime from the nineteen hundreds down in the trench in one area! L.o.l..

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really need a coin makers opinion. Well ,coin folks in the know anyways...

A gob of something in the die padding the base of the pillar or where it should rest perhaps. More than grease? But not as hard as a piece of metal?
A piece of felt comes to mind. No , I don't even have an idea how felt would be involved...But I'm leaning towards a single strike (or more) of a foreign material in the die. A chive in your teeth type set up or something...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread