Uncontacted Native Tribes

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
I thought this was interesting and relevant... I couldn't help but share it:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/05/080530-uncontacted-tribes-photo.html
It's about tribes of native people in Brazil that have never been in contact with "the rest of us." This photo actually gave me goosebumps. This is an actual glimpse of people in an untouched, technologically primitive state--a lot like the people whose artifacts we try to find and study. This picture, in some ways, is like looking into a time machine.
Amazing to think that these folks were seeing (probably) their first airplane... and probably thought it was a huge bird or a god or something else new and barely imaginable. (And they got their bows out to fight it!)
Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Makes me wonder what they think of things like jets and contrails.
Also what happens to people who wander into their territory,
are they ever seen again. Isn't there something in the bible about
not until all the people of the world have heard the word of Jesus
will he return again. Not trying to start any religious discussion or
trying to force any beliefs, just expressing my own personal thoughts
as you requested.

Seeing as how they are obviously a little on the hostile side,
how would you go about contacting them so as to do the least amount
of damage or harm? I would guess that at some time some modern
people have come in contact with them, someone who would be out
exploring or hunting for hidden wealth, gold or other valuables. Who
would that most likely be, treasure hunters, hmmmm.
Have any treasure hunters ever gone missing in the jungles of Peru? ::)

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish they would they would leave 'em alone...d2

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of reminds me of that movie "The gods must be crazy" it is interesting that they probably choose to be isolated, due to a previous negative encounter :icon_study:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
The first thing that popped into my mind was the "lost tribe" hoax that occured some years back. There was a big 'to-do' over them being a tribe that had no contact with anyone from the outside. Anyone remember it?

I done a quick search and found them - the "tasaday".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasaday

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bassfish said:
We should drop off a pallet of Happy Meals as a peace offering.

I'd be willing to strap on a shop towel and chunk some sticks at airplanes for a burger...I'm hungry. :tongue3:

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pronghorn said:
Seeing as how they are obviously a little on the hostile side, how would you go about contacting them so as to do the least amount of damage or harm?

To do the least amount of harm, DON'T CONTACT THEM. According to an anthropologist interviewed in the news story, they don't have any immunity to our diseases, including the common cold. They probably aren't all that hostile, they just don't like a helicopter hovering over their houses. They seem to be doing OK without contact with civilisation.

Just think, they don't give a crap about the price of gas !!

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Rob in KS said:
pronghorn said:
Seeing as how they are obviously a little on the hostile side, how would you go about contacting them so as to do the least amount of damage or harm?

To do the least amount of harm, DON'T CONTACT THEM. According to an anthropologist interviewed in the news story, they don't have any immunity to our diseases, including the common cold. They probably aren't all that hostile, they just don't like a helicopter hovering over their houses. They seem to be doing OK without contact with civilisation.

Just think, they don't give a crap about the price of gas !!
;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:AMEN BROTHER LEAVE THEM THE HELL ALONE.MAYBE SINCE THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY HOLDING WEAPONS OF MASAS DESTUCTION WILL SEE THAT AND DECLARE WAR ON THEM.MAY EVEN TRY TO FORCE OUR SO CALLED DEMOCRACY ON THEM.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
d2 said:
I wish they would they would leave 'em alone...d2

my thoughts exactly. they have survived for thousands of years without the modern world, they dont want us to bother them, just let them be.

P

pickaway

Mark & Olly are already in route to make contact...
Nice read thanks...

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In reading further on these "lost" tribes, some of them have actually been exposed to "us" and retreated to their old lifestyle. They chose to live as "lost," which sometimes, I don't blame them. There are several "tribes" that have been "discovered," both in South America and other isolated pockets, and after having a slight taste of civilization, choose not to participate.

Can't imagine why not ... ::)

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
pickaway said:
Mark & Olly are already in route to make contact...
Nice read thanks...

LOL Pick..thought I was the only one who watched that...................

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
The area of Peru that they are in is actually a sanctuary that the government of Peru preserves for the exact purpose of preventing contact with them and two other tribes they know of that have never been contacted. So anyone venturing into that region would be stopped by the Federales before they reached that area and jailed before they could spoil their primitive lifestyles.

OP
OP
MarkDz

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Lots of great thoughts here...
I agree with the consensus... let's leave them alone. I hope that's true about it being protected land. It'd be a tragedy to have these people eating Happy Meals in a few years, like one poster suggested.
The world's a lot better, IMHO, with as much diversity as possible. If people find a way of life they like, and they don't bother anyone, let's let 'em be.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
What's scarry is that it won't be the old stereotyped bible thumping missionary who'll make it into these tribes one day. It will instead, most likely be the Liberal College prfessor who "Only wants to study them" who is most likely to cause their downfall. :icon_scratch:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
MD Dog said:
What's scarry is that it won't be the old stereotyped bible thumping missionary who'll make it into these tribes one day. It will instead, most likely be the Liberal College prfessor who "Only wants to study them" who is most likely to cause their downfall. :icon_scratch:

its sad really. you and i both know whats going to happen. we will go in there and force our religion and our culture on them. they will never be the same. its not all that different than what the spanish did other than the fact that we would get in trouble now for killing them all. ::) i dont know why we feel the need to "convert" everyone to our beliefs. seems like they are getting along just fine without us. i guess we really havent changed all that much since the "first time" the white man came calling. :'(

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
hollowpointred said:
MD Dog said:

its sad really. you and i both know whats going to happen. we will go in there and force our religion and our culture on them. they will never be the same. its not all that different than what the spanish did other than the fact that we would get in trouble now for killing them all. ::) i dont know why we feel the need to "convert" everyone to our beliefs. seems like they are getting along just fine without us. i guess we really havent changed all that much since the "first time" the white man came calling. :'(

I come in peace.... me give you fancy beads for nice island (Manhattan).... we smoke-um Peace Pipe!!

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Hey MD Dog, I wonder what anthropologist tast like :wink: To be honest with you, I think these people have the right idea. Men and women typically share the work load... my understanding working only about 30 hours a week. Politics is simple. Rules are simple. And everyone watches everyone elses back. Just my opinion. Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread