Under the kitchen sink!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When My Mother In Law passed my wife was clearing her effects from her apartment and was working under the kitchen sink. She opened an old cardboard ice cream box to find this object hidden inside. We've been scratching our heads for a couple of years now trying to figure out what it could have gone on and the other day it finally came to us, a parasol handle.

Handle 1.jpg Handle 2.jpg Handle 3.jpg Handle5.jpg

It's very similar to one on a parasol found in the attic of Callaway Plantation in Lincolnton, Georgia. It's Sterling but no maker's marks.

P6.jpg Any info?

Attachments

• Handle 1 2.png
    Handle 1 2.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Handle 1 2 copy.gif
    Handle 1 2 copy.gif
    163.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 14

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea but you may have already solved it! Is the small end solid or hollow and if hollow, is it threaded or not? The answer to these might help with identification.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beautiful piece! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is sterling lain over a wooden form. Narrow end has a small, maybe 3/16 hole with no evidence of any adhesive or attaching features. I had originally though it to possibly be a Tora pointer, but too short. So I kept trying to think what could be that small and thought fishing rod, but that didn't make sense, unless for little Lord Fauntleroy, and no residue of ferule cement. As we sat there and thought on it I said "umbrella" and she said "No, parasol", so that's when I went online and searched parasol handle and came up with the one found in Georgia. I expect most of you folks know how precious it is to be relieved from an obsession!

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3/16ths hole, no threads, no glue residue, no signs of trauma. This is who we think owned this artifact.

Wm Leander & Sue (2).jpg
Sue Brown Gash, born in frontier Texas and survived encounters with Comanches as well as characters as such as John Wesley Hardin. A beautiful and elegant woman seen here with her husband William Leander Gash, at their home in East Asheville, N.C. ca1905. WL was kicked out of West Point in 1870 because he refused to shine an upper classman's boots, (that's the simple story). They returned to Ashville by covered wagon train in about 1902 because their revolutionary era land grant required a family heir to occupy the lands ( the whole East end of Asheville as well as Oteen).
She lived through childbirth 7 times and her children were giants who loomed large in their era. One a meet hunter for the railroad out west, another an early Millwright who built the TVA dam locks and liberty ships for WW2, Daughters who worked in Military intelligence, taught school and were homemakers in the Texas oil boom. They built a pioneer enclave along the Swananoah River in East Asheville where the daughters built their own log homes.
I'm proud to say that her G Grandaughter is the Mother of my Children. Here's to Mother Sue!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thars really cool.must have meant a lot to her to hold onto it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread