Under The Kitchen Sink +

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some better photos of the Parasol found in Georgia that appears to be from the same artisan

. P2.jpg P3.jpg It's a shame they tore the cover off. More info on eBay Sold Items under silver parasol handle

Here's photo of the family leaving Texas for NC.

Wagons East.jpg
And an amazing photo of a boulder train. The men riding the wagons are brakemen to work the friction brakes on the wagons.
Boulder Train Postcard.jpg

Upvote 7
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like I'm quite late to the story of the finding of this parasol ! Can anyone direct me ( us ) to the "rest of the story"?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Diggin, You may have missed the original post (Under The Kitchen Sink) note that this (Under The Kitchen Sink +) where I related that they had to return to keep the state from reclaiming the property. There were actually two land grant documents issued by the state of NC. They're in my attic. They give the meets and bounds and state that the land is granted to the Gash family in recognition of the service of the family to the revolutionary cause. It states that they are to occupy and maintain the lands in perpetuity and apparently there were no other heirs that could fulfill the contract. WL Gash's older brother Lucian was killed at Brandy Station, Va just a few days before Appomattox. I would have to look his regiment up but they were attached to the Army Of Northern Va under Robert E Lee as a sister regiment to the 33rd Va, (Jackson's Own) that my Mom's folks served in. I have no idea by what means but one of his comrades returned his rifle to his parents after the surrender and it had not been bored out. That's what we call un-reconstructed. In my original post I showed the Parasol handle and a photo of WL Gash and wife Sue who was a Brown County Brown. WL had enrolled in West point in 1870 and was soon singled out by an upperclassman who just happened to be the first Black Cadet at West Point. He apparently messed with WL because he was one of the few southern cadets at the academy in that time period. He confronted WL one Sunday morning and insisted that he shine his boots. WL refused and when the man struck him With was the traditional form of Plantation punishment. I don't condone it, but just wish to tell the story in it's truth. WL wrote in his memoirs that "He'd gotten so tired of hearing about de Laud" that he just couldn't take it anymore. Needless to say WL was tossed out of the academy. he returned to Asheville but felt Ill at ease there so like a lot of other young men of the time he went west. All we know of their early relationship is that he was school teacher and that she had nursed him back to health from some illness or injury.

WL Sue and Bertie Original.jpg

In 1901 or 2 he received notification that if he did not return to Asheville and occupy the family holdings they would be forfeit to the state. So, they loaded up the kids and the household and wagon-trained it back to NC. We're not talkin about a cottage and a rocky garden but hundreds of acres of creek bottom with rich soil, multiple house sites and gold deposits. Please check the earlier post (Under The Kitchen Sink) and I think you'll se the sense of it.

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Argentium you're missing the first of the story. This post is (Under The Kitchen Sink +) please check (Under the Kitchen Sink) Sorry for the confusion!

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry fore the confusion folks, I'm still learning to perfect my posts see the original post at (Under The Kitchen Sink) without the +

OP
OP
R

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you folks for your interest in the thread and the kind comments on the photos. These folks must have bought the first box camera they ever saw at a store. We have thousands of pics from the early 20th century up through the 50s.
The Vets Hospital in the section of Asheville called Oteen had a tremendously high. Smoke stack on it. My wife's great uncle Roy who was a Millwright who oversaw the construction of it and there's a photo of him standing on top of that must
have been taken from and airplane. Another shows him handling hot rivets while building the flood gates for one of the TVA dams.
But this is one of my favorite photos. The boys had rigged up a sawmill using an old model T chassis. They called the scrap man and his sons to haul away the old car body and this is what that looked like.

Alabama Taxi 2.jpg

May be the first concept of a drive by shooting. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread