Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
tjbeale

tjbeale

Mar 7, 2008
Re: Underground targets in images to be excavated soon

Philvis said:
It's 90 degrees in the Bedford area today and this week...where are the updates? The snow has been long gone.

The answer (in vague terms for a good reason) is at www.thebealekey.com

These "periods" are frustrating, but we have experienced nothing that would discourage us...... TJB

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

This has got to be one of the greatest treasure legends (legends can be true/false) EVER!! So many people have worked on this. So many people have gone to the grave frustrated and being "so close". So many people have "figured it out" with "exact" locations ranging over entire counties in Va. So many people have been thwarted at the last minute, when they were inches from recovery. those must be some big "thwarts" to stop someone from becoming an instant millionaire! Wowzers. Boggles the mind.

Say, with so many people trapsing all over Va in search of this do people ever bump into each other out in the woods? If so, would a good ole fashioned rootin'-tootin' gun fight ensue? We all know how you southern boys are with your guns. If this was happening in Canada and 2 opposing groups ran into each other out in the woods I'll tell ya what would happen. A good old hockey brawl would break out! When the dust settled we'd all help each other up, have a good laugh, go dig up the gold, and get drunk. Happy ending.

I've been a member of TNet for a few years now and always read these boards. The whole Beale story is enough to give one a headache. These Beale threads are a code in and un themselves trying to read with posts deleted, the infighting, the hundreds of "solutions" people have come up with. Great stuff.

Well, according to the latest "I've found it" story www.thebealekey.com they claim that recovery will begin in early June. Early June? Holy Cripes. That's like, now! And they say they will publish the find. Say what!!?? I can hardly wait for someone to post their find of millions in gold on the internet only to have it all taken away, spend mucho deniero of their own money in legal fees, or end up in jail, be hunted and assassinated by Sentinels, have their friend clobber them over the back of the head with a shovel, or what have you. If I made a large enough recovery to be concerned there'd only be one person who knew about it. That would be my wife and she could tell because all the postcards have palm trees on them! There really can't be a good outcome from all this exposure... that I can see anyway.

I'm not saying I don't believe, I'm just saying this whole experience with "beale" is so convoluted that you all gave me a migraine. Well, good luck to the fellas involved.

The saga continues..... early June.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D CT! GOOD to "see" ya, again! ;D The Beale Treasure is a WONDERFUL
mystery... like the CSA TREASURY, the SWIFT SILVER MINES. GREAT for the brain/mind... PUZZLE to be solved, working those brain cells; AND! Getting "out & about", is GREAT physical exercise. :D :wink: Of course, the FEDS and "county cops" (Sheriff Deputies) ARE watching us... it is ALL in good FUN! BETTER than "SHINING"! :D :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: BTW, You wouldn't get shot at, in the mountains around Montvale, Va. because of the "Beale"... it would be, because you stumbled across
a "still", patch of POT plants, or METH lab! :o HA! Just be careful out there, folks! :D

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Although I have supported this poster I am very undewhelmed with his recent responses .
Jim

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :D YEAH, waiting for the 8th installment, myself... :D :wink:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

I hope all you Bealle Treasure fanatics are having fun. After reading the initial
account a couple times I put it all down to fancy. The "story" is too cut and dried with "fake" written all over it. One - "mexican town" regarding Sante Fe.
In 1817 the Spanish were in control of the whole area and regarded trespassers
with suspicion and arrested them.
It is my opinion that believers who concentrate solely on the "code" have not
done due diligence to this legend. Simply swallowing an unlikely occurence on
the basis of a tightly woven ball of thread is putting the cart before the horse.
Serious THers always dissect the first account of any legend. If it doesn't make sense historically it is bogus. Of course if you've had no experience in
actual gold/silver prospecting a yarn like this might seem plausible. Some have
invested heavily in time and funds on this will of the whisp and probably won't
back down until someone digs up multiple iron pots filled with fool's gold.
Instead of starting at the "code" you would save yourself much grief by be-
ginning with the premise of thirty "intelligent" men of that period. Why thirty?
Why not 29? Or 19? This TJB IMHO never set foot in Sante Fe. He did
perhaps read a few fanciful yet unrealistic "papers" that spoke of grizzlies and
buffalo for the taking. His "Indians" were a friendly bunch who pitched in to
help digging the rich ore with "what?" Not a single mention of mining tools.
Why? BEcause it never happened. Not 250 miles north of Sante Fe. Have a
single one of you ever been "in country?" If so you would know that any gold
producing area is way up there in altitude. Not in some lowly "ravine." No
mention is made of travel above timberline. Should of been but wasn't. They
were "hunting buffalo" right? Buffalo were all over the Plains, not at altitude.
Still not convinced? Why would thirty "intelligent" Virginian men of means
abandon their families and positions after a long battle for independence from
not only the Brits and French but the Eastern tribes on a lark "Out West?"
Not to say a few brave men did not go west even before this story begins.
A relative of mine did go to the described area, teamed up with native horse
hunters, found gold in Colorado long before the fur trade began and was
captured by Spanish troops and hauled to Sante Fe. The governor thought he
was a spy and was held under house arrest some fifteen years. The reason any
of this came to light was that Zebulon Pike was also detained and brought to
Sante Fe. He met a James Purcell, a Kentuckian there around 1805! James
told Pike the Spanish were after the place he had found nuggets to the north
in what is now Colorado. He refused to take them there and was allowed to
work as a carpenter but not leave Sante Fe. All this can be verified historically.
So I find it dubious that Beale's caravan, heavily armed for grizzlies, would
not be detained as well. TJB shrugs off Sante Fe with it's Spanish forces in
total control as a sleepy "mexican town." You might want to brush up on New
Mexican history as well as Colorado.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Franklin:

Please send me a PM with your James Purcell information. I have been unable to trace him after Sante Fe. I understand his find was placer gold in
either the S Platte or Arkansas River. This is a big hole in my geneology research I would like to fill. Thanks in advance.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Respect. That's what treasure hunting is all about. It matters not weather one believes the pursuit of another is worthy or not, what matters is that one respects the adventure provided in that pursuit. If one finds happiness in a chosen activity or quest then let that person chase his personal happiness until his heart is content, support his adventure as if it were one of your own. Treasure hunting involves many unknowns and countless uncertainties, many great finds have been made by hunch, curiosity, and by taking a different path. What is fact and what is fiction is oftentimes uncertainable by any other means. I for one have been on many unsuccessful adventures and yet those adventures are still with me today and I would not trade any of them away for anything less. As for the Beale Treasure itself, I would not be a bit surprised to learn that it has actaully been discovered, nor will I be a bit shocked to learn that the true game ending proof of a hoax has finally been identified. It is the nature of the hobby and it is in fact these very mysteries that keep the adventure alive. Opinions are just that, opinions, but physical pursuit is an action and an adventure and I'm always up for that. I'm just saying, weather you believe in it or not isn't the point, but you always support the adventure as if it were one of your own. Every year were hear of discoveries that leave us saying, "No way! How cool! That's so hard to believe!" I'm just hoping this little mystery brings about the same reaction some day, even if I wasn't a part of it. Good Luck tj! "Live the adventure!"

K

Kentucky Kache

bigscoop said:
Respect. That's what treasure hunting is all about. It matters not weather one believes the pursuit of another is worthy or not, what matters is that one respects the adventure provided in that pursuit. If one finds happiness in a chosen activity or quest then let that person chase his personal happiness until his heart is content, support his adventure as if it were one of your own. Treasure hunting involves many unknowns and countless uncertainties, many great finds have been made by hunch, curiosity, and by taking a different path. What is fact and what is fiction is oftentimes uncertainable by any other means. I for one have been on many unsuccessful adventures and yet those adventures are still with me today and I would not trade any of them away for anything less. As for the Beale Treasure itself, I would not be a bit surprised to learn that it has actaully been discovered, nor will I be a bit shocked to learn that the true game ending proof of a hoax has finally been identified. It is the nature of the hobby and it is in fact these very mysteries that keep the adventure alive. Opinions are just that, opinions, but physical pursuit is an action and an adventure and I'm always up for that. I'm just saying, weather you believe in it or not isn't the point, but you always support the adventure as if it were one of your own. Every year were hear of discoveries that leave us saying, "No way! How cool! That's so hard to believe!" I'm just hoping this little mystery brings about the same reaction some day, even if I wasn't a part of it. Good Luck tj! "Live the adventure!"

Thanks, bigscoop. Your services are needed over on the LRL board. ;D

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

bigscoop:

Thanks for you input. There seems to be evidence that a popular pastime
in the 19th century was parlor games involving elaborate puzzles. So if that
interests people I say go for it. What I am hoping to do is discuss the alleged
events surrounding the supposed bonanza of gold and silver. The code is not
of interest to me. All we really have to go on is an almost 200 year old legend.
If you are proposing the notion that it does not matter whether the story is true
or not, that it is the chase that is most important well, OK.
My interest in treasure legends is finding those that are valid, or at least make
sense. Let me pose this question to you. If you and a large group of your friends stumbled upon a cave and inside you found the walls and ceiling were
covered with diamonds. Now say this happened far from your home in a wild-
erness setting. And say you were the leader of this party because you are the
wisest having been a boy scout leader for 20 years. After your group had picked or pried 200 lbs or so of diamonds would you as leader take half the
group with you to within eyesight of your campsite and then send them back
with the order to keep digging until you returned. Then you go on to camp
with the diamonds and get in your vehicle and drive to New York to the diamond district to appraise the stones. After you get the fair value you drive
to Virginia, your home state. and bury the diamonds in 50 gallon clay pots
six feet down. After this you drive all the way back to the camp and visit with
your group. You learn that they have found another 600 or so lbs and believe
the cave is exhausted of precious stones. So the whole group returns to camp
and makes plans to leave immediately for Virginia. When you all get back you
the leader takes all the rest of the diamonds and the rubies found while you
were gone to put with the other stones already buried.
Now, even though you have a king's ransom worth many millions in precious
gems, you all decide to leave it in a hole in the ground and concoct a code that
if solved would lead to untold riches. Then with this all done you head back into the wilderness with the entire party to look for years on end for other
diamond caves.
Is that the kind of adventure that you would find enjoyable?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lastleg,
I think a lot of times we tend to rationalize things in relation to current times or our own experiences. I have no idea what the exact circumstances may or may not have been nearly 200 years ago? But I do know they were often complicated times with many different influences impacting their lives and decisions. Today, for instance, we can't fathom the notion of burying anyone in secret with mountains of handcrafted wealth surrounding them, yet several past cultures did this on a regular basis. I'm merely suggesting that the unknown often turns out to be a place full of the peculiar factors that was motivated by "era relavant" circumstances. The Beale Ciphers are still a mystery full of countless theories, and thus far it is also lacking any defining proof of fact or fiction. So "yes", for many treasure hunters the exploring of these unknowns and the search for truth is in fact part of the adventure in itself. I think anyone who pursues a treasure legend already realizes that the odds are stacked way against him from the very get-go, but to still have the determination to seek the truth anyway is worthy of my support. Just as none have found a defining treasure yet, so to none have found the defining proof of a hoax. It may take a million different people acting on a million different theories and searches but rest assured, at some point in time someone will discover the defining end to this mystery, one way or another. Only then can we say for certain one way or the other. As for the throretical diamond adventure you outlined in your reply to my earlier post, what were the possible circumstances that caused me to make all of those seemingly peculiar decisions during that adventure? Lacking that knowledge I can't really offer you a defining answer? And such is tha case with the Beale ciphers, people are still seeking knowledge, truth, and a defining end. Personally, I choose to respect and to support their continued exploring of the endless possibilities and I wish them, "good luck!"

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:D Well, I live here in Lynchburg, Va. and have seen the 1885 streets, etc.; done research here, and Bedford County Va.; beale/Franklin has, too. We have TWO "timelines"... 1885 of the BEALE PAPERS
"Job Print", and the 1817 - 1820 or so, Bedford County BUFORD INN "thing". FORTUNATELY, beale & I have "visited" these sites... beale, MORE than I. NOW! Is it ONLY a story? Yes and NO. SOMETHING is out there! :D :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: TOO much info/history that goes BEYOND what is in the JOB PRINT! You have the HART PAPERS; there are MANY more ppl, and
PLACES involved, that ARMCHAIR THers will NEVER see. :o :read2: :coffee2: :icon_thumleft:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Franklin:

Now you have my attention. How do I see your records? Are they in book
form? My sis has done extensive geneology on the Purcells in Kentucky and
we know that Thomas Purcell was a resident of Kentucky County, Virginia in
1780. He was a member of Captain William Oldham's Company of Militia of
Col. William Linn's Batallion in General George Rogers Clark's 1780 Shawnee
Indian Expedition. We know he was conveyed 400 acres from in-law Daniel
Sullivan in Jefferson Co. KY. Capt James Sullivan and family were located in
the District of West Augusta, Virginia, near Fort Pitt prior to 1780. We know
Thomas and Elenor Sullivan had two sons, Issac and John Purcell, but suspect
that James Purcell was their son as well.
In Paul Horgans outstanding book "Great River" we learn that James was
"the first citizen of the United States to penetrate the land of the upper Rio
Grande, where no one might pass either way across the Spanish colonial
frontier." In June 1805 James appeared in Sante Fe with two Plains Indians,
coming from the Rocky Mountains to the north, as scouts for a great band of
horse Indians who sent them to discover whether trade relations with New
Mexico could be established. The main body of Indians of two thousand with
ten thousand horses remained at South Park, Colorado. The Governor of New
Mexico, Joaquin Real Alencaster, agreed to "enter into a trade" and the two
Indians with James went back to South Park and James remained and was
informed he could not leave Sante Fe without a passport. As you say he
stayed and worked as a carpenter there until (1822).
The story of Zebulon Pike, Gen Wilkerson and Dr John Hamilton Robinson
are described in the book.
I hope you have taken no offense to my opinions. There is a tremendous
amount of intrigue and neglected history in that time period. Let us try to
untangle the facts from the fiction of that era. You might very well be in
possesion of facts of which I am not aware and I am willing to admit when
I am in the wrong.

Sincerely,
lastleg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Thanks, Franklin,

I think this mystery is starting to make some sense. If we are on the same
page there was a lot more going on back then than met the eye. Will do more
geneo stuff later when I am more rested. I did some painting today in a high
wind and am pooped. Let me know what you want for that CD.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Not trying to come off as offensive but im a native of virginia and would like to shed some light on those GPR photos. I worked for united coal company for six years after getting out of the army doing core drilling and geological surveying for coal production estimates within there mines here in VA WV an KY. What i see there is The Clay Bed,and Iron Enriched Crust above. If there was gold or a vault in the ground site it would most definitely be visible with 3d Ground Penetrating Radar. Unless the beale treasure consists of an entire collection of cast iron skillets,quartz iron ore,or clay pottery..Id say this is a Bust. Also the chances of this treasure being any deeper than 5-10 feet is improbable.It was buried by one man in the time that a backhoe or excavator wasnt readily available. Anyone here can tell you that if you dig in VA,especially around bedford and the like of such places.You`ll hit bed rock between 4-10 ft.
But as they say, When in doubt,Dig That B*tch!!

Good Luck and HH
Just dont squander your life savings digging this out of the ground.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Lucky13 said:
Not trying to come off as offensive but im a native of virginia and would like to shed some light on those GPR photos. I worked for united coal company for six years after getting out of the army doing core drilling and geological surveying for coal production estimates within there mines here in VA WV an KY. What i see there is The Clay Bed,and Iron Enriched Crust above. If there was gold or a vault in the ground site it would most definitely be visible with 3d Ground Penetrating Radar. Unless the beale treasure consists of an entire collection of cast iron skillets,quartz iron ore,or clay pottery..Id say this is a Bust. Also the chances of this treasure being any deeper than 5-10 feet is improbable.It was buried by one man in the time that a backhoe or excavator wasnt readily available. Anyone here can tell you that if you dig in VA,especially around bedford and the like of such places.You`ll hit bed rock between 4-10 ft.
But as they say, When in doubt,Dig That B*tch!!

Good Luck and HH
Just dont squander your life savings digging this out of the ground.
Well put . Don't expect to be well received . Some folks' fantasies die hard ;D
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread