Unidentified Brass object...

davidini

May 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at a bit of a loss where to turn but I am in need of intelligent minds.

My great grandfather left this object to my mother and said to sell it if she was in need of money.

It is made of brass, weight about 2.5 kg and stands at around 11cm in height. I can't see it being anything valuable but I am still curious as to what it is.

I don't have information about my Grandfather other than he worked at sea. I assume it's something he got on his travels.

Could there be treasure inside? Pic related

Attachments

• 20130501_171633.jpg
    20130501_171633.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 225
  • OMNGREBHTRHR.jpg
    OMNGREBHTRHR.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 20130501_171644.jpg
    20130501_171644.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 223

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is, but you would think if he told her to sell it if she needed money he would've told her what it was and why it's worth enough money to help someone in a financial hardship!!

The price of scrap brass wouldn't do much to help someone in the need of enough money to get by for a while, so there must be some other value to the piece, I hope someone can ID it.

I see there's a hole in the top, is it hollow, is the groove in the side a seam or just a groove?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brass is down to 1.50$ here so i guess i'll be saving it until the price goes back up ive got about 20 pounds so far that i have found this year with the metal detector

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have you tried grasping the top and bottom sections and twisting as if to unscrew them from each other? Looks like the top and bottom thread together...

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A candle holder maybe?

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is possible that what you have is a floor safe.....meant to be set in concrete.This is a simple guess and nothing more.obviously it is missing top and whatever may have been inside.all bad news but possible.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I'm going out on a limb and say it could be a betel container, although it is more 'American' looking than Asian but the size is right.

Interesting, Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you tell us when you grandfather was alive so we can get a sense of the age of the piece?

I'd also like to see pics all the way around. I notice some scarring in pic #2 that might indicate the item was repeatedly "clamped" or otherwise held in place by something that marked it. Are there other similar markings on the other side?

Can you tell anything about the makers mark on the bottom?

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you tell us when you grandfather was alive so we can get a sense of the age of the piece?

I'd also like to see pics all the way around. I notice some scarring in pic #2 that might indicate the item was repeatedly "clamped" or otherwise held in place by something that marked it. Are there other similar markings on the other side?

Can you tell anything about the makers mark on the bottom?

DCMatt

Matt, I noticed those marks too, which appears to be 'older' scarring. I also saw the circle on the bottom, but when enlarged, it was too blurry to see. If we could get a clear pic of the bottom, that may help.

I'd like to to know if the opening looks as if it ever had a lid? Any marks, scars, smoothing that would indicate that?

:) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sentrom

Oct 18, 2012
Near Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure it is red brass? Looking at it, it looks more like bar-stock turned on a tool room lathe. Does it have a hollow cavity or is it solid with a hole bored into the top? In the second picture it looks like the piece could have been something that was plated and the metal below the plating is silver in color. Could this be something silver plated in copper?

Upvote 0

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just made a stand for a friend that has a piece quite similar (but different). His was used in swabbing heavy artillery. Same material and size only his has male threads and slots for cloth. Is yours threaded inside the visable hole?

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a brass taper for pushing out bushes, perhaps used on a hydraulic press.

SS

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It looks like a brass taper for pushing out bushes, perhaps used on a hydraulic press.

SS
This was my first thought but the "steps" seem to be tapered which would make it hard to push out bearings, seals, bushings, ect.

Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only time I've ever seen something like that is was used for sizing O-rings and seals

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closest thing I could come up with was a pipe swaging tool. I circled a vaguely similar item from this swaging tool (I know, I'm stretching the imagination at this guess).

Pipe swaging tool.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Closest thing I could come up with was a pipe swaging tool. I circled a vaguely similar item from this swaging tool (I know, I'm stretching the imagination at this guess).

View attachment 789133
If this was used for swaging, wouldn't it be made of something harder than brass?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread