What's new

Unidentified Buckle

Steviecop

Greenie
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Location
Haddon Heights NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exploer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
46937171_2233199270282608_6659358668032573440_n.webp 46681361_2212680175668636_3615285959744028672_n.webp

Hi! Found this possible buckle in Southern NJ its about 1 inch by 1inch. I really like it because of the shield. There possibly is some writing on it but its too far gone to make out. The back is not a pin, its a straight flat piece of metal and is flattened in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Beautiful relic! Nice find m8[emoji106]
 
Upvote 0
That is a cool looking piece. Congrat's to you.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nah, the band on back would be like a slot for a thin piece of fabric or leather. Not able to form a circle. hat would have been cool though. TY for replying
 
Upvote 0
to thin of a space for a tie to fit. only 1X1
 
Upvote 0
Any chance you could clean it with some soap water and a gentle tooth brush also if you have a jewelers loop would help a lot. Nice relic
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to tnet also from MI Tommy
 
Upvote 0
Don’t know what that thing is but I did live on 3rd avenue in Haddon Heights NJ in the 1960’s, welcome from New England
 
Upvote 0
Beautiful find Stevie. :thumbsup:
I'd be tempted to lightly tumble that piece to bring out more of the detail.
It looks to be made of brass and was likely originally silver plated. :icon_scratch:
Stylistically, it looks to be mid-Victorian (c1860-70) in design.

Best of luck in getting and I.D.
Dave
 
Upvote 0
I think I’ve cleaned it up as much as it’s gonna be. Hit it with Andrea pencils yesterday pretty well.
 
Upvote 0
I’m over by the black horse pike near Del Bounos
 
Upvote 0
Welcome, and cool find Stevie!

A word of caution! The expertise you'll encounter in this forum is equivalent to the definitive authority of 50 to 75 years of hunting plus pictures and stories told by our elders and the research and antiquities we've studied. Some of our members do and have made their livings in this capacity for decades. If you know all the answers going in, you might consider how that's gonna work out for you!

Based on the poorly presented images and and uncleaned condition of your posted finds I, personally would like a size reference, a cleaned crest shot and a better side profile. If you've posted this to try and find a deceptive price for an unfair transaction, Happy trails!

Often artifacts like this turn out to represent colonial finds of great significance. Bide your time and let's have a look!
 
Upvote 0
Ummmm... I'm just an average detectorist trying to identify a find that I know nothing about. Like I said its 1inch by 1 inch. Sorry you feel the pics are unclear but I did the best I could. I've cleaned the shield the best I can in an attempt to reveal and words to noavail. Thank You very much for the helpful responses.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom