unique Knights Templar sword

kawkasian

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sword I can not find any information on with the figures that are on the sheath. i searched hi and lo. Any information would be wonderful
DSCF4379.JPG DSCF4380.JPG DSCF4383.JPG .

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sword attached to this picture I highly doubt is from the 19th century. I have never heard of that racist organization you referred to but will just say that I doubt strongly they would add KT to it unless they had their own KT abbreviation that was meaningful to them. The only two organizations where the knight of Malta and Templar were tied together was during the crusades and more modernly with the masons. Our symbols have copyrights and I've seen first hand what happens when someone uses one inappropriately. Back in the 1800 and during the Morgan Affair, it's possible some organizations talk advantage of the chaos in our order and used symbols. Nonetheless, this sword is almost certainly not from the 1800s and is certainly masonic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This could be settled, I think, if the OP would just show us the blasted blade on the thing . LOL.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree that age is hard to determine here without knowing the maker. I can find all the various elements of this sword in the Ames 1889 catalog, however Ames was bought by M.C. Lilley in1923, and this one seems to have the Lilley "flavor" and the fittings appear to be pot metal, except for the pommel.

Upvote 0

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion on its age is a bit less "science" based than yours. In my experience these types of swords that were from the 1800s were more flimsy and a lot less decorative. The blades were thinner as well.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
powrsurge, After careful study of the Ames catalog with a magnifier last night I found this: View attachment 1334248 notice swords 18 & 19, View attachment 1334249 now look at the scabbard on # 14 , mixed and matched. You are right, Knights Templar. it seems they used the same middle mount as Tabor. This catalog is for 1882-1889. In all fairness though, if you look back through the thread, my first assessment was Templar- Sir Knight.

Upvote 0

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you find this catalog. Lol good work!

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work Bruce, and thanks for that add.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob, your Templar sword was the result of a contest for a new sword design held by M.C.Lilley in 1894. Lilley was in business from 1867 till 1924 when they bought out Henderson-Ames, after that the swords were marked Lilley-Ames until about 1954 when Lilley, in turn, was bought out by a company named Ward. Lilley also bought out Horstman in 1923 , those swords were marked Horstman, Phila. From 1923 till around 1945 .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions