unique Knights Templar sword

kawkasian

Jun 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sword I can not find any information on with the figures that are on the sheath. i searched hi and lo. Any information would be wonderful
DSCF4379.JPG DSCF4380.JPG DSCF4383.JPG .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet looks awesome might be a ceremonial sword

Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the one my uncle had before he passed away

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
If you scroll down a bit at the link below they show one with the same figures on the sheath. And while other parts are not the same, it may stand to reason that the age and maker may be. Theirs is made by Ames (no big surprise) and they state that it is from the 1880's:
Freemasons For Dummies: December 2008
If you aren't yet aware, the wording of Ames' company name changed over time and can help date these if it is from them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the blade have any designs on it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your is a little different than mine
36651f74f442f102f173b4aada5d3a75.jpg
944064590d724559b49e59684aa76dd4.jpg

Which means it of a higher rank. Your blade should have a nice design on it

Upvote 0

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I inherited one from some long lost uncle or something.
He was for sure a 33 degree Mason.. Have doc on it and him.
The sword I have is similar but much more ornate..Ivory handle,,etched blade with his name, etc.
I will bookmark this thread and take a coupla pics when I get home,,, then upload to share with everyone.
I THINK his name was Theodore Stradley,,, Pittsburgh area,,,
BOTH swords shown are pretty similar, But the one I have looks more like the 2nd one.
33rd degree is the highest PUBLICALLY acknowledged rank,, there are ranks above that if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a picture of the blade. Please

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The black grip and the knights head on the cross guard mean "Sir Knight" rank and file. The Maltese crosses on the cross guard mean that it's a Grand Commandery sword.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your is a little different than mine
36651f74f442f102f173b4aada5d3a75.jpg
944064590d724559b49e59684aa76dd4.jpg

Which means it of a higher rank. Your blade should have a nice design on it

Yours is an Eminent Commanders sword. View attachment 1331242 2nd from the left, yours is Knights Templar, Order of the Red Cross, made starting in 1894 by M.C.Lilley.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue, but I'm certainly enjoying the discussion and education on swords!

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kawkasian's sword is unique because it's a Grand Commandery sword, that means State level in the Masonic hierarchy, it's rare to get one. In my photo above, 3rd from the left, is a Sir Knights sword but not Grand Commandery, it's from the Baldwin Commandery in Williamsport, Pa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok everybody, listen up. I WAS WRONG !!!!! After I got home and researched this sword, it turns out that it is a Knights of Tabor sword, the lower scabbard mount bugged me because K-T swords don't usually have a monogram on the scabbard. Knights of Tabor were originally called Knights of Liberty, and were an African-American anti-slavery society founded by Moses Dickson , a Freemason, in 1846. The group later became the Knights of Tabor after the Civil War and founded hospitals and all kinds of other benevolent stuff. The scabbard monogram reads: K o T , not KT. Google the Knights of Tabor or Moses Dickson, really, really, really good reading, a truly amazing man. B.R. This organization was founded by a Freemason, and closely related to Freemasonry, hence the Masonic iconography on the sword. This is a VERY rare sword.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I dunno Bruce. Many of the exact elements can be found on KT swords, right down to their motto... a lot of others did use it as well, but I couldn't find that the KoT did. I don't see Masonic symbols on any of the limited items from them on line.
But, I'd need to see more pictures of this before I go in any particular direction... One could spend a lot of time trying to figure out what may be readily available via additional pictures.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lower scabbard mount with the stylized KoT monogram appears in the 1882-1889 Ames Sword Co. Catalog # 806, Knights of Tabor . many lodges freely copied and adopted Freemasonry designs and patterns, there are very few that are unique to a particular society. The sword companies also promoted this practice, they simply mix-n-matched the various components that they were already tooled up for. Dickson was an Eminent Commander in the Mason's, so it's not surprising that he would adopt Masonic iconography in setting up his own organization. Also,the only Masonic swords I've been able to research with the organizations monogram on the scabbard has been KM- Knights of Malta , a chivalric order within the York Rite of Royal Arch Freemasonry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.S. I would absolutely LOVE to have this sword in my collection, I already have a G.U.O.O.F. Sword, which is the African-American Oddfellows.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread