What's new

Unique piece of flint

tamrock

Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
16,407
Reaction score
34,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over two years now I've been riding my bicycle out along the many miles of bike trails of the northern Colorado front range to a place I've discovered as a place of occupation. Most of what I found has been the various pieces of material that was used and a small amount of actual finished blade artifacts a mano and some kind of artifact that was used for it's abrasive properties. In this spot I'm picking everything as you can get an idea of where the material may have come from and it's my idea that it has been brought in from some of the Rockies and others from as far east as Kansas and maybe some chalcedony, known as Flat Top chalcedony. This spot I'm sure was for the most a high planes people site and a place they could easily describe to each other as where they are going to be or going to, by traveling from the North Platte River up the the various creeks to this hilltop, overlooking where two small creeks come together. From this site they could access hunting grounds that run up and down the front range of the Boulder valley all the way to almost Golden Colorado, but all that's now completely covered up now with massive development and I can only picture in my mind what it all may have looked like long ago. In my recent visit I found a weird looking piece of Jasper flint with a strange looking pattern in it. I've never seen anything like it and wonder if it could possibly be tided to a source where this type of material could be found?. It looks as if it was something like a plant that had fossilized into Jasper, much as some petrified wood would would have done.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170906_112320180.webp
    IMG_20170906_112320180.webp
    417.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20170906_121149.webp
    IMG_20170906_121149.webp
    629.2 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
I see Jasper debitage like yours on occasion in my region. I've often thought that it was heat treatment that gave it that look. It's great looking material to say the least.
 
Cool finds. You would normally think that jasper came from over near Trout Creek, but I haven't seen any exactly like that.
 
Very attractive piece of stone. Wonder if it is some kind of oolitic chert?
 
Iv never seen it before but it's really cool looking. Looks like they had some nice materials to work with.
 
I can only picture in my mind what it all may have looked like long ago....

Yeah I know what you mean. I often look out over Boise from the foothills and think the same thing.

It's amazing how much can be built in sch a short time.

Looks like you found an awesome spot. That chert is interesting and I believe I have found similar up around Granby area....but that was long ago.

Look forward to seeing what else you find there!


What is the large piece in the center of the 2nd pic- agate?
 
Cool finds. You would normally think that jasper came from over near Trout Creek, but I haven't seen any exactly like that.
I believe some pieces of material did make it's way from the Trout Creek sources, but there's definitely a verity of other materials from who really knows where?
 
Yeah I know what you mean. I often look out over Boise from the foothills and think the same thing.

It's amazing how much can be built in sch a short time.

Looks like you found an awesome spot. That chert is interesting and I believe I have found similar up around Granby area....but that was long ago.

Look forward to seeing what else you find there!


What is the large piece in the center of the 2nd pic- agate?
Here's a link to that piece. I'm still hoping I find the other pieces, but that's very unlikely as it could have broken from when the bison roamed the area? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...cts/479434-late-afternoon-mano-hill-find.html
 
Last edited:
If you pick everything, the site could be lost forever.
 
It’s beautiful material! Your on a good site!
 
Maybe Brecciated Jasper like this Desert Delta from N. California.
 

Attachments

  • P2140480.webp
    P2140480.webp
    350.6 KB · Views: 108
Looks like petrified coral to me
 
If you pick everything, the site could be lost forever.
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to accomplish that. I'm positive the site has been picked over before, but after a heavy downpour more things are exposed. I'm willing to bet if the site was excavated there would be many things uncovered. Maybe even the Metate that the mano stone I found was used on. Another thing about this site is the fine dust blowing from the Rockies is deposited every day on top of this hill and has be for thousands of years. Heck, they just discovered a dinosaur during some construction below the surface in Thornton, Colorado I believe?.. You should see how the fine dust builds up in my house in a short period of time. To give an example, here is a picture of a dusty day blowing in from the Rocky's, I took coming into the Denver airport last March. I'll bet the amount of dust that day could be measured in tons?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170323_172355.webp
    IMG_20170323_172355.webp
    252.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Looks like petrified coral to me
I'm thinking the same thing it's a fossilized organism of some kind?. The origin of Jasper's is kind of funny in that way. Here's a piece of Jasper I have with a sticker claiming that it has native silver within it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170917_072855.webp
    IMG_20170917_072855.webp
    729.9 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom