What's new

Unknown find in Winder, Georgia

tjspringfield

Greenie
Joined
Nov 6, 2015
Messages
17
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I found this a couple months ago about a foot deep with my metal detector behind a buddy's house. Nobody was ever able to identify it. does anyone know what it is? its pretty heavy and I think it is iron

thank you
 

Attachments

  • w.webp
    w.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 164
  • d.webp
    d.webp
    219.9 KB · Views: 143
  • i.webp
    i.webp
    113.7 KB · Views: 146
  • n.webp
    n.webp
    196.9 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 8
It looks like it was some part of a weight, the shaft would have slid down the opening, just a wild guess.
 
everyone who has guessed has said something similar to that, it being some kind of weight. how old you think it is?
 
Scale weight from an old commercial balance scale. Had one in a commercial fish house I worked in in Massachusetts
 
Those balance scales go pretty far back. I would think the late 1800s is plausible but that's just a guess. Research and let us know!
 
Nice find....Nothing like finding things that are old....
 
Have you found anything else nearby that can be dated? May give you an idea of a possible age.
 
Oh yeah that looks like what it could have been definitely. and who knows, maybe it was from jug tavern. I didn't find anything else nearby it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom