Unknown hardstone tool??

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
This was found on a river site in Tidewater Virginia. However, before folks say naturally polished cobble or geofact, let me give some background. The site where I found it is very productive and nearly all the rock has been worked. I picked it up because it was so perfectly symmetrical and “different” from everything else on the site. I showed it to an archy (specialized in archaic artifacts) and he is convinced it is a hardstone artifact made of greenstone from the central Virginia Piedmont region, that it was ground and polished. It does show some wear on one edge from hammering or grinding. Has anyone ever found something similar? I’m leaning toward it being a nice mano, but thinking also hammerstone. Archy says possible bola stone also. I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC00879 (640x360).jpg
    DSC00879 (640x360).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00881 (640x360).jpg
    DSC00881 (640x360).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC00880 (640x360).jpg
    DSC00880 (640x360).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
I wouldn't say hammering or grinding its pretty polished I'd say the archy might be right or a game stone . Round rocks around here are natural I've excavated them up from deep but the NA would find them mining chert and use them nice rock

1st thing I thought was Mano when I saw it. The damage might of been done from rolling down the water flow. I dont think it would be a hammer. Im still looking for a nice Mano. Congrats, rock

Utilitarian stones such as yours had many uses, fitting the hand nicely, comfortable to hold and pound with, mash nuts, soften hides, the polish could be from wear use and also looks like a nice boiling stone. In addition looks like exotic material not common to area? I`m guessing on the last statement. Keep it.

Hey- nice rock! I also live in a tide water area- although not VA. I'm in MD., and there's a certain couple spots I find rocks like that. And it's hard for me sometimes, because there are often quite a few. And I question myself all the time about bringing them home, but I do-- bring them home. My deciding factor is- if it really is symmetrical- round or oval. If it's got a little work somewhere on some side- for pounding, grinding, or something-- and last, if the rock is honestly perfect- and not just a rock that 'feels good in the hand', 'fit perfectly in the hand'-- I just don't think about that. I think- is this a sturdy rock- will it hold up to repeated impacts, or prolonged grinding? Otherwise, I'd be bringing home every river cobble I see. I'd say you absolutely have something there. I would have taken it home- and would keep it on the 'rocks of unknown use' shelf. Occasionally, I figure out what I have-- more often, I don't. And yet I keep them. HH! Yak

Not to long ago I had a bolo stone IDed on here for me , I had it for years and didn't know what it was. Your second pic shows what seems to be a dimple on one end. If so then I would say bolo stone. It is a keeper for sure and you can bet that a Native American used it.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies everybody, I have lots of respect for the collective knowledge available here, and trust you guys more than the achae

This stood out under magnification on a unique scraper. I would appreciate anyone with the graphics to view it clearly to give an opinion. It appears the shell has been exposed to facilitate a figure? The set made up of two pieces shows heavy x hatching to reduce material. Posted pictures previously of tools

IMG_0640 (2).JPG

Thought you might find this interesting. Red Jasper Snake Effigy
IMG_0669 (2).jpgIMG_0672 (2).jpg

Last edited:
how is this relevant to this thread?

This stood out under magnification on a unique scraper. I would appreciate anyone with the graphics to view it clearly to give an opinion. It appears the shell has been exposed to facilitate a figure? The set made up of two pieces shows heavy x hatching to reduce material. Posted pictures previously of tools

View attachment 1286119

Thought you might find this interesting. Red Jasper Snake Effigy
View attachment 1286121View attachment 1286122

So, do you think the knapper had magnification to see as he put this in the scraper too?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back