Unknown object

CivilWarSaver

Sep 28, 2017
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Technetics Delta 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm a 12 year old boy from Tn. My favorite hobby is metal detecting and saving history. I've been Metal Detecting for quite some time now and I Metal detect on my grandparents property that in the heart of the battle of Nashville. I was Metal Detecting in the woods today and found a bunch of mid 1800s era bottles and this unknown item. It says the name of "Spencer" any of you know what it is? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506650572.691766.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506650584.066420.jpg

Upvote 24
I'm thinking it may be part of an adjustable spencer carbine strap

Suspenders buckle I think

Edit. Didn't see the Spencer part not sure now haha

Welcome to tnet young man, and we would all like to see your other finds as well. I love diggin old bottles, so I look forward to seeing more of your posts as you live in a pretty rich historical place.

Still thinking suspender buckle from size but I have no refrece besides fabric

Nice work, Young Man. 😁 Definitely a suspender buckle. I have a few Spencers.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Ogre do you know how old they would be?

Also Right next to that 'spencer' suspender buckle, I started to heard a bunch of good metal signals. These are some of the bottles I found yesterday. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506655242.452222.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506655314.103310.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506655403.711281.jpg

ITS ONLY THE START OF A WONDERFUL HOBBY. NICE FIND

First off welome to TNET you have started a hobby that will be with you for a life time.

What you have found is the adjustment buckel clip off the shoulder strap for a 1860 Spencer Carbine, nice find. That is a keeper for display.

here is photo of a Spencer with the shoulder strap
Swivel5.jpg

Last edited:
Like most said on here, it's a suspender buckle...100%. Much too flimsy, frail and decorative to be off a shoulder strap. The leather of a shoulder strap wouldn't even fit in the upper hole, but it's perfect a fit for the suspender strap.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back