What's new

Unknown

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this last week and it has been sitting on my desk raising my curiosity. It was found in a vacant lot in Asheville NC. My first guess was maybe it was used to mark a "Garden Row" It has a vague number of "16" that still exists. Can any one tell us as to what this was used for? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC00018.webp
    DSC00018.webp
    113.3 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC00019.webp
    DSC00019.webp
    117.8 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC00020.webp
    DSC00020.webp
    62.8 KB · Views: 427
BillyBudd said:
Why not a garden row mark? Doing the research might be fun.
HH

That was also my first thought... or maybe to lark a trail. I agree thats it's a marker sign for a thin pole.
 
Upvote 0
Possibly a surveyors tag?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Fishing peg no.
 
Upvote 0
I'd say some type of baggage or trunk tag. Big sucker ain't it.
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
I've never used anything like this CRU for fishing mate

:D :D
You don't use them for fishing.

Maybe you don't have them in the US, but over here, you get them around lakes & rivers to mark out spots for fishing competitions. Before the match you draw a peg no. & thats your spot for the day.
 
Upvote 0
Oh, That would be awesome if one ended up here CRU. LOL I was wondering what you meant by the fishing aspect. Can you find me an example? Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
4-H said:
I've never used anything like this CRU for fishing mate

:D :D
You don't use them for fishing.

Maybe you don't have them in the US, but over here, you get them around lakes & rivers to mark out spots for fishing competitions. Before the match you draw a peg no. & thats your spot for the day.


Well it does look like a pole went through so would make sense it marked something.

...or it was a 16th Regt. fishing spear. :D
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a plot marker. It could be for just about any kind of plot - camping site, cemetery, early subdivision, etc. Pretty much any place or plot that needed a marker to ID it from other similar plots.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom