Looks like they were made to be opposite pairs.
kuger said:They are pretty much flat.When we first dug one we didnt pay much attention but we keep finding the odd one,always in early 1849-1850,sites.Hames sounds logical,however these sites are in rugged remote places even horses seldom were?
Trust me I fully understand that,mules are even better,but I assure you there were no horses in these camps,let alone a wagonDirtyHowi said:kuger said:They are pretty much flat.When we first dug one we didnt pay much attention but we keep finding the odd one,always in early 1849-1850,sites.Hames sounds logical,however these sites are in rugged remote places even horses seldom were?
horses can go places even humans dare not tread, best back country transportation short of your own two feet, and they usually arent dumb enough to fall down, least not the ones i've had over the years.
kuger said:They are pretty much flat.When we first dug one we didnt pay much attention but we keep finding the odd one,always in early 1849-1850,sites.Hames sounds logical,however these sites are in rugged remote places even horses seldom were?

Your right,one of those probably never will know for sure.Thanks though I appreciate it!!72cheyenne said:kuger said:They are pretty much flat.When we first dug one we didnt pay much attention but we keep finding the odd one,always in early 1849-1850,sites.Hames sounds logical,however these sites are in rugged remote places even horses seldom were?
Being flat and with no known horses being around pretty much rules out a hame piece. They still look as if the were designed to be used in pairs....on opposite sides of whatever they came from.
Maybe some sort of bracing used on a tool to attach the handle to the implement.
I'm just guessing...Although,I have never seen that,I guess that is totally possible?Thanks!!DCMatt said:OK, 1849-50 remote sites in California? Are these old gold rush sites? If so, I'm sure they had certain items unique to gold mining. Could these be brackets for repairing something like cracked pick handles?I'm just guessing...
Any other clues?
DCMatt
kuger said:Although,I have never seen that,I guess that is totally possible?Thanks!!DCMatt said:OK, 1849-50 remote sites in California? Are these old gold rush sites? If so, I'm sure they had certain items unique to gold mining. Could these be brackets for repairing something like cracked pick handles?I'm just guessing...
Any other clues?
DCMatt