Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a Sgt for the Sheriff's dept who told me to advise the detective I was making claim on the 28 pieces of jewelry I handed over to him if owner not located and got copy of police incident report. So I did and what a shock I received. Detective checked and said yes it would be mine after 60 days But the real shock came from the incident report. It stated jewelry was lost then found by me. Not gang related and under Administrative action...CLOSED. Now I know that the value wasn't even close to the Great Philly Heist of 2015 pulled off by team CSM members Carolina Tom and Smittyman but this belonged to somebody and it took longer to write report than the case was open. Im not a detective by any means but I believe I know where a portion of goods came from and it wasnt lost in Kuduz patch by a drunken hang glider passenger but hey I'm not a detective just somebody trying to do the Right thing. I hope I'm never faced with this situation again because if they won't make an effort in finding owner(s) why should I waste my time on a phone call to report it!!

Well detective came out took report took pics and took jewelry. Said if owner can't be found it would be sent to County Auction. No getting these goodies back. He also told me sometime back that he investigated a murder at the bridge and victim shot and dumped off bridge into creek. He said it has a high gang activity because the bridge and road is closed and it is in such a remote area.

I've been sidelined for a while due to eye surgery so thought I'd give it a try this morning. Been trying to find an old lake I remember in my youth. Finally found it and little is left of the lake but I have a thing for hunting under old bridges. I usually can find a piece of silver or two under them. Well I noticed a beaver dam in the creek that feed the old lake and was gonna check it out and hunt under bridge. The area down to the creek was nothing but heavy kudzu. I started getting signals and dug 2 rings. Thinking I had found swimming honey hole I kept on looking. Some rings were just under the kudzu. I found this book on gemstones and it hit me. These rings were from a burglary and someone purchased the book to see if any had value. A couple are silver and 2 gold rings have marks but can't see well enough to read them yet. I will call the Sheriff's Department after I post this. I'm sure the owner might like to have them back.
IMG_20150602_121757998.jpg IMG_20150602_110809553_HDR.jpg IMG_20150602_131118.jpg IMG_20150602_121714526.jpg IMG_20150602_110840396_HDR.jpg IMG_20150602_111319458.jpg IMG_20150602_120312753.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt in Places like that U'r Def, more of a Hardcore hunter than me. lol

I can't think of a Bridge over a Creek Anywhere in NE Ga That's not full of trash.
Look's like you cleaned some of that out to.
Actually I was gonna hunt under the bridge but didn't make it that far. No I didn't clean any area I was hoping I could get Carolina Tom back with his lawnmower like he did for Beez but I only have one good eye to spare. But I do hunt some out of the way places. I will probably hunt this in the winter looking for stuff that was lost at the lake and not tossed.
IMG_20150602_110840396_HDR.jpg IMG_20150602_104751800.jpg

Last edited:

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up with a gully covered in kudzu that had an old car in it that was my base of operations, so sure I'd hunt there.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't need traps, I will entice them w/chicken bones and they'll follow us home.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up with a gully covered in kudzu that had an old car in it that was my base of operations, so sure I'd hunt there.

Think you could get CT to come down and bushhog before he leaves

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He prolly will if you tell him its a unhunted site.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't need traps, I will entice them w/chicken bones and they'll follow us home.
I might have to rethink it then because the last time some beaver followed me home after enticing her with chicken she wouldn't leave and I ended up married.

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds tylerbdad, I'd see kudzu and my brain would say "snakes", next spot....

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think you're right about a burglary. They may have thought they were going to get caught and tossed the rings. I remember Mike Moutray found about 20 or 30 cases to gold pocket watches in a drained lake...we figured they were stolen and someone tossed them to avoid being caught or something. You're a good man for contacting the authorities. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you're right about a burglary. They may have thought they were going to get caught and tossed the rings. I remember Mike Moutray found about 20 or 30 cases to gold pocket watches in a drained lake...we figured they were stolen and someone tossed them to avoid being caught or something. You're a good man for contacting the authorities. :thumbsup:

Thank you Eric. I know these don't belong to me and they most definitely were stolen from someone. I hate a thief and I feel I would be one had I not contacted the police.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't stand it and went back for a other 30 minutes. Stuff is everywhere.I left sweating like a pig at a barbeque. Stopped at store for Gatorade and woman said Honey are you OK?

IMG_20150602_162505047.jpg

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting and profitable hunt. Suggestion...When and if you turn in your findings to the Sheriff, ask for a receipt with a report number on it. Ask what the waiting period is for found property before you can legally reclaim it. On the other hand, if the owner is located, you will have one BIG FAT HONORABLE MENTION coming your way! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting and profitable hunt. Suggestion...When and if you turn in your findings to the Sheriff, ask for a receipt with a report number on it. Ask what the waiting period is for found property before you can legally reclaim it. On the other hand, if the owner is located, you will have one BIG FAT HONORABLE MENTION coming your way! Sub 8-)
Yeah will do Sub. The place is loaded but you have to fight the kudzu. I know there is some older non-stolen stuff at this place if the Beavers will let me at it.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard core water hunter! Good work.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tyler looks as if someone only thought that they had costume jewelry, boy you are a hardcore sleuth for sure,vanzutphen

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ongrats on the fist full of keepers.:thumbsup:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm impressed with that booty. The jewelry is nice too! :laughing7:

Seriously, there is something sublime about finding stolen goods. It gets my heart pumping. Its sort of like "fight or flight", but its more like, "Keep or turn in". So many times I have had dreams of finding serious treasure. Its either mounds of cash, or treasure that is pirate-style in a chest. What really sucks is that I always wake up empty-handed. :BangHead:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some nice rings there!.... and a couple of ugly ones too...:laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My very first class ring I found had been stolen when the young lady left it in her friend's car while they went to a natural swimming hole. The ring had her unusual name on the side and I believe that is why the thieves threw it out. I found it about 1/4 mile from where it was stolen. I believe they thought the name would make it too risky to sell.
Hope you can find the owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread