Update on 1787 Connecticut Copper ***VERY RARE VARIETY WITH 13-20 KNOWN***

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Well, first off, I'm glad to say that we have gotten off of the skunk mobile, IP. :laughing9:

KKC (KirkKyleChris) got out to a new site on March 21 that I had researched. After I presented the research to Chris, he secured the permission like a champ. Our group is all about the team effort. One guy never does all of the work to get into a new vanished site.

The day started off with the usual buttons and Colonial dwelling relics. I ended the day with 14 buttons, the most I ever dug in one day.

Then, it happened, folks! BAM! 1839 Coronet cent! 15 minutes later, BAM! 1810 Classic Head half cent! 30 minutes later, BAM! King George III halfpenny! I was ecstatic at this point, as you will see in the attached video of my recoveries! 20 minutes later, BAM! 1801 Draped Bust large cent! I ended the day with probably my best condition copper so far! I filmed the recovery from start to end, and you will see my excitement when I saw the shape that it was in! My last copper, which was my 5th for the day, turned out to be a very nice 1787 Connecticut copper!

KKC ended the day with 10 coppers on Sunday! We will be swinging over the ground this Sunday, so stay tuned for more recoveries!

Here is the video of the coppers:

Here is an update on the variety of my Connecticut copper from a well-known expert:

Hi Kyle:
It came through loud and clear.
In my opinion you have a 1787 Miller 33.38-gg.1.
The diagnostics are great on the reverse. As you see, there is a large die crack through the D, through the stem of the laurel branch and into the figure's waist. That is diagnostic of a late die gg.1 state. Combined with that reverse there are only four obverses and only the 33.38 matches yours.

It is a very rare coin with an estimate 13 to 20 known as a high R-6. In recent auctions undamaged ones have sold in the $1000 vicinity.

Attachments

• Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 518
  • March Bonanza 018.JPG
    March Bonanza 018.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,803
  • March Bonanza 021.JPG
    March Bonanza 021.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 3,779
  • March Bonanza 023.JPG
    March Bonanza 023.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,775
  • March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    March Bonanza 2 009.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,761
  • Early Coppers 007.JPG
    Early Coppers 007.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 507
  • Early Coppers 008.JPG
    Early Coppers 008.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 507
Upvote 0

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
This is not the first time I saw a "banner controversy" here on tnet. The solution is obvious. There should be written guidlines as to how a find is found to be worthy. Step by step written out for all to see otherwise many many people will feel slighted when something they found is not selected when they are so thoroughly convinced otherwise. It seems to me that quite possibly someone feels very powerful sitting on the dictatorial throne like Ceasar at the gladitorial ring pointing thumbs up or thumbs down.
I certainly hope that people don't get offended by my opinion since that is not what I desire.
Chris

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
This is not the first time I saw a "banner controversy" here on tnet. The solution is obvious. There should be written guidlines as to how a find is found to be worthy. Step by step written out for all to see otherwise many many people will feel slighted when something they found is not selected when they are so thoroughly convinced otherwise. It seems to me that quite possibly someone feels very powerful sitting on the dictatorial throne like Ceasar at the gladitorial ring pointing thumbs up or thumbs down.
I certainly hope that people don't get offended by my opinion since that is not what I desire.
Chris

Well stated, Unc! With all the research and time Kyle puts into the hobby, he deserves this. My brother is a class act when it comes to this hobby. We both made the Banner once and I know for certain, my brother deserves it more than I did. Only 13-20 know. WOW!

Kirk

MinelabSwinger

May 17, 2009
I was not saying this coin should NOT be on the banner. I personally think it should be. However what I am saying is that if someone feels their find is NOT being given the props that it deserves then they should perhaps PM the Mod. Posting your disgust at the fact it has been passed over does nothing more than make you look bad. I agree with Chris.... With all the controversy over banner finds the Mods should have a set guideline for a find to become a "banner find".

As for Not being able to rub the detail off a copper... Are you seriously trying to say that rubbing a large cent or colonial coin will not effect the coins details? How many times have you pulled a copper coin out of the ground with a visible date then watch the date disappear before your eyes? If your not concerned with the value of a coin then rub away... However with the amount of time we invest in this hobby in hopes of finding such a rare coin....I would think 99% of us would want to protect that rare piece at all costs. I am sure not everyone will agree with me that rubbing the coin hurts it. So be it... Do what you want......You earned the right to do so when you dug it out of the ground. However common sense will tell you rubbing an abrasive against something that has been in the ground for 200 Years.... Is NOT a good idea.

And lastly your right... No one makes me read through all the posts on the thread. If I decide it is a waste of time to read... I dont read it. I was simply stating that could be one of the reasons why this RARE find did not FIND its way to the banner. I usually do not post my opinions on this forum because unless I have something worth adding... I dont. Now not everyone shares my restraint at posting I am sure.......

So you can do what you like... I am not telling anyone they can not. I was just stating my opinion.

But not to take away from the find.... It is a remarkable coin and I feel it should be given the props it deserves.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MinelabSwinger said:
I was not saying this coin should NOT be on the banner. I personally think it should be. However what I am saying is that if someone feels their find is NOT being given the props that it deserves then they should perhaps PM the Mod. Posting your disgust at the fact it has been passed over does nothing more than make you look bad. I agree with Chris.... With all the controversy over banner finds the Mods should have a set guideline for a find to become a "banner find".

As for Not being able to rub the detail off a copper... Are you seriously trying to say that rubbing a large cent or colonial coin will not effect the coins details? How many times have you pulled a copper coin out of the ground with a visible date then watch the date disappear before your eyes? If your not concerned with the value of a coin then rub away... However with the amount of time we invest in this hobby in hopes of finding such a rare coin....I would think 99% of us would want to protect that rare piece at all costs. I am sure not everyone will agree with me that rubbing the coin hurts it. So be it... Do what you want......You earned the right to do so when you dug it out of the ground. However common sense will tell you rubbing an abrasive against something that has been in the ground for 200 Years.... Is NOT a good idea.

And lastly your right... No one makes me read through all the posts on the thread. If I decide it is a waste of time to read... I dont read it. I was simply stating that could be one of the reasons why this RARE find did not FIND its way to the banner. I usually do not post my opinions on this forum because unless I have something worth adding... I dont. Now not everyone shares my restraint at posting I am sure.......

So you can do what you like... I am not telling anyone they can not. I was just stating my opinion.

But not to take away from the find.... It is a remarkable coin and I feel it should be given the props it deserves.

It is the detail in the patina that you are seeing being rubbed away. I have many years of experience with rubbing at my coppers and let me tell you, I have never ruined any of them.

Kirk

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
It seems to me that quite possibly someone feels very powerful sitting on the dictatorial throne like Ceasar at the gladitorial ring pointing thumbs up or thumbs down.
I certainly hope that people don't get offended by my opinion since that is not what I desire.Chris

Chris,
I think Frank said it best. ;D
"To say the things he truly feels, and not the words of one who kneels."
-Frank Sinatra-

-Doug-

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well Kyle yo have my vote for a Banner find , rare varieties of Connecticut coppers are just that . congrats to you .

Dan

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you guys,it cracks me up when people say"You are so lucky",folks there is very little luck involved in consistent rare finds,a lot of obsessive work goes on behind the scenes,work most arent willing to do.....but thats a good thing!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kyle PA

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
kuger said:
Congrats to you guys,it cracks me up when people say"You are so lucky",folks there is very little luck involved in consistent rare finds,a lot of obsessive work goes on behind the scenes,work most arent willing to do.....but thats a good thing!! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the very kind words, Kuger. I do put a lot of research work in to find the best of the best in our area. Many people assume, since we live in PA, that coppers are scattered across every field. Yeah, they are scattered around the field at the best sites we locate. According to my notes, our 14-copper site was the "place to be" in the township during early times.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KylePA said:
kuger said:

Thank you for the very kind words, Kuger. I do put a lot of research work in to find the best of the best in our area. Many people assume, since we live in PA, that coppers are scattered across every field. Yeah, they are scattered around the field at the best sites we locate. According to my notes, our 14-copper site was the "place to be" in the township during early times.

I couldn't have stated it better, brother. Research and passion is all it takes. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
KylePA said:
kuger said:

I couldn't have stated it better, brother. Research and passion is all it takes. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Yeah... listen to the guy who found the lucky 2 reale while riding the coattails of his big bro. ;D You are the extra skinny one right? :laughing9:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner for sure! :icon_thumleft: As my good bud, Iron Patch, stated, Tnet here is .... "The one that beat the odds." :headbang:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleman 2525 said:
you guys do get hyper on coppers buts then so do i fun video nice finds :wav:

Wouldn't you get hyper about a find that could buy you a new detector? :wink:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
teleman 2525 said:
you guys do get hyper on coppers buts then so do i fun video nice finds :wav:

Wouldn't you get hyper on a find that could buy you a new detector? :wink:
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

That is PA passion all the way! :headbang:

Kirk

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, I got to complement this copper once more, that is just a really beautiful piece for the collection and is a BANNER find all day long :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I can only dream of having a day like that! :icon_thumright:

You are really brave to forcefully wipe your coppers like that with your fingers...
(aren't you worried about scratches??). If I did that in my neck of the woods, they would probably fall apart, and then I would hate myself for ever. :'(

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a amazing find super rare WTG :icon_thumleft: that has to go on Banner !! with no doubt Great find :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions