What's new

Upper Back Pain From Metal Detecting - Any Solutions?

AusTexDude

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
691
Reaction score
1,982
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am kind of new to MDing and if I spend more than a couple hours my upper back between my shoulder blades really gets to hurting from looking down at the ground so much.

Any recommendations?

Is this just because I am new to it? Will I eventually get used to it?
 
Extend the shaft, Look ahead , less neck bending - it helps.
 
Extend the shaft, Look ahead , less neck bending - it helps.

Dang I just checked and I already have it all the way extended. Regardless I should have thought of that anyway, duh.

I spent about 6 hours MDing today and it feels like someone slammed a knife between my shoulders.
 
Yep I take an Aleve before my hunts or any hard physical activities. It nips it in the bud. You will get used to it as you create muscle memory.
 
Stand with at a natural position with detector and place a 12" ruler in front of your foot.. Adjust the shaft so the back of the coil is touching the ruler.. concentrate on looking ahead and wait for the detector to alert you.. Then look at the display and pinpoint.. You are spending to much time looking with your head down..
 
Last edited:
Dude,

I have the same problem. I do some light weight lifting to strengthen my neck and shoulders. It works wonders for me. And I hit the aspirin also.

Good luck, mike
 
Using different muscles, continuously swinging, agravating... last year got Detector Elbow, was forced to switch hands.. fast swinging of a GB2. Kind of worked for the best, as now I have my dominate hand digging. Stretch, exercise, good drugs..
 
So streaching exercises to loosen up the body. Check with those exercises. That isolate the shoulder regions.
 
You are new to detecting so you are using muscles not normally used in your back. Even if you have a 2lb. detector, hours of use take its toll.
When I use my heaviest detector, GTI 2500, I now use a "knock-off" Swingy Thingy. It's a bungee system that makes any detector nearly float w out weight stress. Kellyco sells em for under $25 in their accessories section.
Good luck and happy hunting! Peace
 
IBUPROFEN,..........






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
I guess from all the looking around and making sure no one is sneaking up on me (high crime area) I don't have that particular problem, but I take aspirin , etc before I go MD'ing for arthritis in my knees.
 
I guess from all the looking around and making sure no one is sneaking up on me (high crime area) I don't have that particular problem, but I take aspirin , etc before I go MD'ing for arthritis in my knees.

I carry a bottle of ibuprofen with me always...... Hunt a beach from sun up to sunset your sore all over.....






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
Take a break every so often...The loot will wait on you! LOL
 
I think I have seen slings on line that are to help with that . Google detector slings .
 
Their not two expensive . And a variety of different types
 
There's a very reasonable chance you will get used to it so there's no point in doing anything yet.
 
I think I have seen slings on line that are to help with that . Google detector slings .

Kellyco sells a good harness for about $20.

I use a camelpac and attach the bungee cord from the harness from kellyco to my camelpac.... I have cold water with me all day...






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom