Upper Back Pain From Metal Detecting - Any Solutions?

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rockhoppernc

Jan 17, 2014
Asheville
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extend the shaft, Look ahead , less neck bending - it helps.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extend the shaft, Look ahead , less neck bending - it helps.

Dang I just checked and I already have it all the way extended. Regardless I should have thought of that anyway, duh.

I spent about 6 hours MDing today and it feels like someone slammed a knife between my shoulders.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I take an Aleve before my hunts or any hard physical activities. It nips it in the bud. You will get used to it as you create muscle memory.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stand with at a natural position with detector and place a 12" ruler in front of your foot.. Adjust the shaft so the back of the coil is touching the ruler.. concentrate on looking ahead and wait for the detector to alert you.. Then look at the display and pinpoint.. You are spending to much time looking with your head down..

Last edited:

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude,

I have the same problem. I do some light weight lifting to strengthen my neck and shoulders. It works wonders for me. And I hit the aspirin also.

Good luck, mike

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
Using different muscles, continuously swinging, agravating... last year got Detector Elbow, was forced to switch hands.. fast swinging of a GB2. Kind of worked for the best, as now I have my dominate hand digging. Stretch, exercise, good drugs..

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So streaching exercises to loosen up the body. Check with those exercises. That isolate the shoulder regions.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are new to detecting so you are using muscles not normally used in your back. Even if you have a 2lb. detector, hours of use take its toll.
When I use my heaviest detector, GTI 2500, I now use a "knock-off" Swingy Thingy. It's a bungee system that makes any detector nearly float w out weight stress. Kellyco sells em for under $25 in their accessories section.
Good luck and happy hunting! Peace

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IBUPROFEN,..........

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess from all the looking around and making sure no one is sneaking up on me (high crime area) I don't have that particular problem, but I take aspirin , etc before I go MD'ing for arthritis in my knees.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess from all the looking around and making sure no one is sneaking up on me (high crime area) I don't have that particular problem, but I take aspirin , etc before I go MD'ing for arthritis in my knees.

I carry a bottle of ibuprofen with me always...... Hunt a beach from sun up to sunset your sore all over.....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a break every so often...The loot will wait on you! LOL

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I have seen slings on line that are to help with that . Google detector slings .

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Their not two expensive . And a variety of different types

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a very reasonable chance you will get used to it so there's no point in doing anything yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have seen slings on line that are to help with that . Google detector slings .

Kellyco sells a good harness for about $20.

I use a camelpac and attach the bungee cord from the harness from kellyco to my camelpac.... I have cold water with me all day...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread