US and Canadian pennies, and half-dollars too

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to say I don't know if these qualify as "interesting" finds in regard to coins, but still had a fun little treasure hunt right in my house today! I have a massive jar of pennies that I dug through and found about two dozen wheat pennies (the oldest being from 1934), a Georgivs VI 1952 Canadian penny (I have a LOT of Canadian pennies, for some reason, but all my other ones have good old Liz on the front), and I found a sock filled with about $100 worth of Kennedy half dollars ranging from the years 1964 to 1990... and one lone 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coin among them. Bet she felt out of place.

The pennies are all from circulation, but the half-dollars were given to me by my aunt many years ago and they're all in pretty decent shape and aren't grimy like the pennies.

I'm not a coin expert by any stretch, but I think I recall that the 1964 Kennedy half-dollars are worth more than face value due to the high silver content? I think everything else I found is probably little more than face value. Also, can anyone tell me if the mint marks mean anything? I have some with no mint, some with a D and some with an S.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 64 is 90% silver. No mint mark is Philly, D I Denver and the S is San Fran. Any halves from 65 to 70 are 40% silver.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went through my dime/nickel jar and got a 1943 nickel. Don't know if that's good or not; this one has a large P mint mark at the top of the tails side rather than the itty bitty one off to the side, which I think makes it a wartime nickel?

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went through my dime/nickel jar and got a 1943 nickel. Don't know if that's good or not; this one has a large P mint mark at the top of the tails side rather than the itty bitty one off to the side, which I think makes it a wartime nickel?

Correctamundo. 35% silver.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. :) Never thought I'd find anything nifty in my dusty old change jar.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went through the rest of my nickels and dimes and found a couple more goodies... some 40s nickels (1940, 1942) and what I thought was a steel penny, but what I now think is just a plated copper penny. Since apparently no steel pennies were made in 1971. Besides, it's in way too good condition for a circulated penny, and it didn't stick to a magnet like steel would. But still a neat find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread