apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does any one buy coins from the US Mint? I have noticed that silver is no longer available in some dollar coins that I attempted to order. I have a granddaughter and this is one major reason why I collect silver. My great grandfather passed down several silver dollars to me, so I want to do the same for her. He was an East Texas farmer and lived thru the Great Depression. I am fortunate enough to have his "figuring" books from his farm. Only the ol' folks on this post can understand what I am referring to. He is the reason why I am a Great Depression/WWII historian. I know I am rambling--sorry, it's the third Stella Artois and I finally had an afternoon off. God Bless saturday afternoons for folks who work in public schools.

My granddaughter is my jewel. Red-headed, Irish as the day is long, 4 years old, and heck, I don't mind telling it here--she is my baby girl and my only grandchild.

And, does any one buy those bronze or commemorative coins? The one with the veterans kinda stole my heart. The image looks like it was photographed from the Korean War.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading that due to demand for bullion the mint was running short on some silver blanks to make the dollar coins. I'd keep checking back because I believe once they get caught up they will start making them again. They had made a few collectors angry by not issuing any Walking Liberty dollar proofs in 2009 because all the silver was going into standard dollar bullion coins.

The mint typically offers a proof silver set every year too and that may be something you may want to get your granddaughter. I am not sure what time they will be available this year. Last years set, I think, had 18 coins with the dimes, quarters and halves being 90% silver. By the time they had all the different quarters and dollar issues they ended up with a dozen and a half coins in the set.

When you go to order make sure you get the official website at usmint.gov (http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...tegoriesDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001). Some other companies use close to the same words in their websites and I believe you will be paying them more then what the US mint charges.

Scott (MI)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Commemorative dollars are indeed available (when they are released) via the Mint's site. Be aware that you must be quick for some issues. Abraham Lincoln sold out quickly. The same coins were later available in a commemorative set that also sold out quick. Others (Braille) didn't sell quite so well. Also, if you are looking for coins to appreciate in value, I would choose the uncirculated strikes rather than the proofs. Typically, proofs sell more and consequently their mintages are higher. In a few years, the uncirculated strikes command a higher premium on the secondary market.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
No i do not buy from the mint. Have done Goldline and Northwest territorial mint. But usually wait till a couple of pawn shops get something in or wait for a coin show .

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I sure wish I would have bought the 2008 Buffalo proof and fractionals from the mint back then.

Their value has gone thru the roof in the past two years.

Jim

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
apush,
Glad to read your post. I'm an old timer too (going on 65) and I got lots of silver dollar coins from aunts and uncles for birthday gifts and Christmas back in the 1950's. I saved them all and when I look at them I remember the relatives that gave them to me. My Grandfather gave me an 1837 dime he found on the estate the was the grounds keeper for. I still have it today and will pass it on to my children. He was an Italian immigrant who came to America in 1909. He was 16 at the time and never went to school. Couldn't read or write, but was smart as a whip. Told me once to always "love America because it's like GOLD UNDER YOUR FEET." Enjoy your grand daughter, because whatever you give her she will keep.
God Bless
rileyboy

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rileyboy,
Thank you for your kind words. My family, like many across this nation, were farmers or industrial workers just trying to get by. My grandparents--and I turn a half a century this summer--did not obtain a formal education--one of my grandfather's finished 2nd grade. Even my own mother just finished 10th. They were farm families. My mom could even catch a hen, wring it's neck, and 30 minutes later it was frying in a pan. I often cringe at that thought! I prefer Pilgrims Pride (LOL).

Like several of us who post, we want to pass something down to our kids. Besides land, and other material objects, I would like to give my granddaughter a bit of American history that is valued and can be held in her hand. I want her to think my grannie loved me. Yes, I also think of my grandparents like you do. It was rare to have a gift from them as they were poor (not in spirit or ethics or work or love), but in material items. Perhaps that is why my own parents insisted I go to college--if it killed me or not. I am still here and running a high school. :laughing7:

apush :read2:

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Always buy from the US MINT (only) when ever possible. You will get the best price and the original US Mint packaging. After market is always more expensive and not always in original packaging.

I would recommend the Silver Eagle each year even if you just get the bullion coin. Silver Commemoratives are nice too. This year is a beatiful DAV Silver Dollar and Boy Scouts of America. Both will sell out but the BSA will sell out very soon.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Boy Scout Commemerative coin doesn't say what the composition is. Are these .999 silver like the Silver Eagles or are they something else? Also, the Silver Eagles are still listed as being unavailable (as in they aren't intending to make any). Yet I can go online and buy them from third parties. What's the deal? Is their web site just outdated (since 2009)? Are they only selling to dealers?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mts said:
The Boy Scout Commemerative coin doesn't say what the composition is. Are these .999 silver like the Silver Eagles or are they something else? Also, the Silver Eagles are still listed as being unavailable (as in they aren't intending to make any). Yet I can go online and buy them from third parties. What's the deal? Is their web site just outdated (since 2009)? Are they only selling to dealers?

They are 90% silver.

Anyone know why there is a girl "scout" on the coin?

As far as the silver eagles, certain ones like proofs can be bought from the Mint when they are available, but regular bullion eagles are sold by the Mint to a very limited number of big dealers who distribute them to coin dealers across the country.

Jim

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Not that it has happened often but i have gotten silver eagle proofs at the jewelery/pawn shop at reg silver prices. Have also gotten a couple gold eagle proofs at reg gold prices.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
jim4silver said:
mts said:

They are 90% silver.

Anyone know why there is a girl "scout" on the coin?

As far as the silver eagles, certain ones like proofs can be bought from the Mint when they are available, but regular bullion eagles are sold by the Mint to a very limited number of big dealers who distribute them to coin dealers across the country.

Jim

There is a little girl on the Obverse of the Boy Scouts Of America Silver Dollar because the coin represents the tradition and evolution over the past century of the service and leadership for ALL the youth community of America.(MOY)

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
Great threadline
Really enjoyed the history lessons
Yes, I, too, would like to pass-on somethings to my child (8 years old now)
Got 1 grandkid in the oven as we speak

RE: Mint
Agree with threadlines above - mint coinage is cheaper from the mint itself vs.other secondary dealers
Got me 2 BSA coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread