What's new

USA TL-29 Army issue Pocketknife from WW2 Army Maneuvers

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
5,591
Reaction score
2,910
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doug (Dman) , my high school classmate Jerry, and I scouted a 50 acre farm on the Cumberland River for Colonial and Civil War sites yesterday. The WW2 U.S. Army maneuver units must have had a big firefight there with the large number of 30-06 blanks in the ground while they trained to go to the European theater of battle. I dug a pocketknife that had “USA” engraved on the brass center emblem. A local knife dealer told me it was a TL-29 model with bail issued to Army Soldiers and several companies including Case manufactured them. Not a banner find but anything from America’s greatest generation becomes more special with time & I have started to put them in a display box as shown. HH, Q.

Correction-Gunsil says it's an issue utility knife instead of a knife with tool (TL) and he collects knives. In all fairness to our local knife dealer, he identified it by my description..
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1935.webp
    DSCN1935.webp
    108.9 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN1937.webp
    DSCN1937.webp
    305.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Upvote 22
Actually it is not a TL-29 which was a wood handled two blade knife with one blade being a screwdriver/wire stripper blade. TL was short for "tool, lineman". Your knife was an issue "utility" knife, most were made by Camillus and Imperial. Case made fixed blade knives for the armed forces in WW2 but I am unaware of them making any issue pocket knives, and definitely not the utility model. You sure are finding some cool relics!! P.S. google TL 29 knife and you will see what they look like compared to your find. I collect, sell and trade knives and parted with a mint condition one like yours a few weeks back, I think I may have one or two left in good condition.
 
Last edited:
That's pretty cool Quindy. I've never found one exactly like that. I like it.
 
Great personal find! Congrats!
 
Actually it is not a TL-29 which was a wood handled two blade knife with one blade being a screwdriver/wire stripper blade. TL was short for "tool, lineman". Your knife was an issue "utility" knife, most were made by Camillus and Imperial. Case made fixed blade knives for the armed forces in WW2 but I am unaware of them making any issue pocket knives, and definitely not the utility model. You sure are finding some cool relics!! P.S. google TL 29 knife and you will see what they look like compared to your find. I collect, sell and trade knives and parted with a mint condition one like yours a few weeks back, I think I may have one or two left in good condition.

Thanks Gunsil. I appreciate your expertise. How did the soldiers obtain a utility knife? The TL knives on Ebay had smooth handles that I saw. Thanks, Q.
 
Great save Mr. Q. I like your appreciation for all relics.
 
Nice hunt with some really good finds! Love the knife and machine gun medal.

:)
Breezie
 
Very nice hunt. That looks like a cool place to hunt. Congrats

HH, Relic Nut
 
I had a good time, Maybe we can get out next week.
 
very nice Quindy! love it all!
 
Nice pile of relics there buddy good to see you guys out there moving dirt:icon_thumleft:

~Blaze
 
Very nice period finds.
 
Thanks Gunsil. I appreciate your expertise. How did the soldiers obtain a utility knife? The TL knives on Ebay had smooth handles that I saw. Thanks, Q.

Some infantry troops were issued the utility knives. TL-29s were issued to the signal corps, and knives similar to yours but with a round shield that said USMC were issued to marines. A smaller utility knife by Ulster which has a small phillips screwdriver were issued to the 10th mountain division and some FSSF troops. There were also bone handled utility knives available in PX store on bases. Late in WW2 the all metal utility knife similar to those in use by the army today were introduced for the marines.
 
Q
It is all in the history. Here at Chickamauga we had troops from war world I doing maneuvers right where the battles were fought. We hunt adjoining farms and may find civil war then Spanish American and War World I on the same site. To me it is all history saved from ancient artifacts forward.
I enjoy your hunts. I am doing one Sat hopefully we are as successful as you!
HH
 
Some infantry troops were issued the utility knives. TL-29s were issued to the signal corps, and knives similar to yours but with a round shield that said USMC were issued to marines. A smaller utility knife by Ulster which has a small phillips screwdriver were issued to the 10th mountain division and some FSSF troops. There were also bone handled utility knives available in PX store on bases. Late in WW2 the all metal utility knife similar to those in use by the army today were introduced for the marines.[/QUOTE

I was issued a TL-29 in 1964, in West Germany, I was a RTO in the 505th Airborne.
Marvin

And this one in NAM. I still have it.:icon_thumright:
591837_ts.jpg
 
Last edited:
Some infantry troops were issued the utility knives. TL-29s were issued to the signal corps, and knives similar to yours but with a round shield that said USMC were issued to marines. A smaller utility knife by Ulster which has a small phillips screwdriver were issued to the 10th mountain division and some FSSF troops. There were also bone handled utility knives available in PX store on bases. Late in WW2 the all metal utility knife similar to those in use by the army today were introduced for the marines.[/QUOTE

I was issued a TL-29 in 1964, in West Germany, I was a RTO in the 505th Airborne.
Marvin

And this one in NAM. I still have it.:icon_thumright:
591837_ts.jpg
Thank you for your service to our country during a period of history where brave American men were not treated well when they returned home. With every WW@ 30-06 brass casing I dig, I wonder if the soldier who fired it in training ever made it home. HH, Q.
 
Nice find Q. I'm starting to appreciate the WWII stuff more and more as time goes on.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom