USING CTX 3030 IN OCEAN VS. PURCHASING A SECOND DEDICATED WATERPROOF DETECTOR

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry if this question has been discussed in other threads--I looked, but couldn't find exactly what I am after.

I have owned a CTX 3030 for about three years, using it for land and out-of-water beach use. I am interested in getting into shallow ocean detecting, in water about chest deep. My question is if I should try to keep my CTX properly waterproofed and risk using it in the water, or just buy a second detector designed specifically for underwater use?

I have read various threads about the CTX having leak issues and hesitate to ruin a unit that cost a couple of thousand dollars--While the 3030 CAN be used in water up to 10 meters, it is really fair to expect it to be a "Everything Machine?" I have only used the CTX in the water once, and was nervous about it at the time. It seems like one could relax more using a detector specifically designed for underwater use. With the delay issues I have read about getting a CTX repaired, it sounds like a one should have a second "back-up" detector on hand anyway.

The only other thing that I can add is that one day I would like to learn to scuba dive, but that is still more of a dream than a factor in this discussion.

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Of course, the secondary question will be "What underwater detector to purchase?" but that is for another day.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy an Excal II and not have to worry about it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree. I have both and they are both good at what they do. I'll use the excal when I'm getting wet or deep and the CTX when in the dry or chasing the tides in/out.

OP
OP
C

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Your reply is music to my ears and what I felt deep down, yet I didn't want to be totally stupid. I can afford to buy an excel, so why not?

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have both and find it hard to decide which one to use. They both are great machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
For the same reasons you posted, I purchased another detector (Excalibur II). For water, I would highly recommend the 8" coil over the 10" for easier swinging & pinpointing. I have 2 CTX'S and worry every time they were submerged

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
C

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't want to be overly paranoid about taking my 3030 into the water--there are enough things to worry about when you are out there in the surf. I would rather relax, knowing that I have a 100% waterproof unit. It sounds like the Excal II is the way to go. I appreciate the suggestion on the 8" coil over the 10". It sounds like a better choice for getting used to the Excal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8" coil is easier to swing in the water and it pin points a bit better than the bigger coils, but, after swinging a 15" coil most of the time, it's hard to settle for a small coil like that on a big beach! It seems to me that I read that Minelab was discontinuing the 8" option. None of my Excaliburs are in warranty, so, I have several coil setups, including one with a waterproof connector so I can change coils if I wish. I still use the 15" coil 99.9% of the time in dry/wet sand, and about 50-50 in the water. If I know it's going to be a long surf hunt, I use the stock 10" most of the time. It's the best combination of swing resistance and coverage.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda is correct, Minelab no longer makes the Excal 800 so 8" coils are like hens teeth. I use 15" coils, I tried to use my excal with10" coil but after about an hour I went back to the excal with 15" coil and had another 15" coil installed on the excal that had the 10" coil. For me our beaches in Florida are just to wide for me to use a 10 inch coil.

The 8" coil is easier to swing in the water and it pin points a bit better than the bigger coils, but, after swinging a 15" coil most of the time, it's hard to settle for a small coil like that on a big beach! It seems to me that I read that Minelab was discontinuing the 8" option. None of my Excaliburs are in warranty, so, I have several coil setups, including one with a waterproof connector so I can change coils if I wish. I still use the 15" coil 99.9% of the time in dry/wet sand, and about 50-50 in the water. If I know it's going to be a long surf hunt, I use the stock 10" most of the time. It's the best combination of swing resistance and coverage.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
I added an the up graded "O" rings when I first got my 3030. always remove the battery and check for leaks, it leaked on me twice in the beginning two seasons ago. Didn't cause any long lasting problems but I used contact cleaner and dielectric grease (small amount) on the battery contacts, and every single time the battery comes off I use a soft paintbrush to make sure all sand and grit are off the seal area. this season alone my 3030 has been under water while I waded up to my armpits for easily 75 hours. I have never tried to go deeper than wading but my dive partner has taken one on two or three dives 15+ feet for more that an hour and a half. He did a video of it, its on youtube under his username Detectorcomparasons. That's me with him. Good luck

Just found one of the videos, there should be more. By the way we just did that to see if it would last. I don't recommend trying it, we mostly use Excals for diving. https://youtu.be/47eRQMoMLJI

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Calif-teacher: If you're just talking wading type top-side beach stuff (and occasional slaps by waves), your CTX should be just fine. Any "leak" issues you read about, I think is just for deeper long-time submerged situations. You're not planning on scuba, are you ? If it's just for an occasional splash, or winter-erosion hunting (rainy days), or a possible dunk (to which you pick it right back up), then I would think your CTX is just fine.

They advertise is as waterproof afterall, so that would be pretty sad if you couldn't even take it to get splashed now and then.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Cuda is correct, Minelab no longer makes the Excal 800 so 8" coils are like hens teeth. I use 15" coils, I tried to use my excal with10" coil but after about an hour I went back to the excal with 15" coil and had another 15" coil installed on the excal that had the 10" coil. For me our beaches in Florida are just to wide for me to use a 10 inch coil.

What 15 inch coil do you use and how do you find the weight? Do you use a harness? Did you do the water proof cable mod yourself or have it done?

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What 15 inch coil do you use and how do you find the weight? Do you use a harness? Did you do the water proof cable mod yourself or have it done?

I use the Minelab 15in with the proswing harness and can swing for hours. The harness is pricey but worth it in my opinion. Better on your shoulders vs the other sling....that I bought and will never use again.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hip mount my Excaliburs, so, weight is not an issue with me. I have both the Coiltek WOT and the NEL Attack. I like the NEL Attack the most. For me, it is more stable and pin points better than the WOT.....cheaper too.

OP
OP
C

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks to the many who offered their advice on the CTX3030 vs. Excal II. I think FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE said it best, "Buy an Excal II and not have to worry about it."

I had decided to wait until spring to get an Excal II, but on my way to bed I saw a listing on "the big E" for a new Excal II with an 8" coil from a Minelab dealer (their last one)--it was priced $200 less than normal, so I checked with the wife (always a good strategy) and ordered it. I will be using the Excal II in the often rough SoCal surf 95% of the time, so I figure the 8" coil will work best for me. Eventually, I can do the modification and change out coils, so this will work for now. Looking forward to adding a carbon rod, new knobs, and a knob guard soon.

Every so often I think about how much money the average user has tied up in the metal detector hobby--often two or more units, extra coils, accessories...Whew! With my CTX3030 (all 3 coils) and now the Excal II, I am closing in on $5,000. Yes, I know one can do it for less, but I have no complaints. Happy hunting to all!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 13 machines and would hate to think what I've spent on them, but, there again, they've all paid for themselves many times over, so, the "investments" have paid off! :icon_thumright: Nothing like quality equipment and the right tool for the job to be successful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread