Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt dare say what that would grade but she's a beauty. 2010 red book says $450 for ms 60 and $1,100 for ms 65. Thanks for sharing.

Mainer

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is beautiful, I don't believe the surfaces would warrant an uncirculated grade though. I would think AU58 but the grading services would probably consider it cleaned. Regardless it is a wonderful coin!

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
It's a nice find but it wouldn't get more than a "net" grade from ANACs and a genuine grade from PCGS. The coin shows "environmental damage" from its time in the ground and possibly from a cleaning. Value wise net grades earn about 50% of non-net grades.

DixieHunter145

Oct 12, 2008
Hanceville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 w/ YF-1 Invader Probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish my dug coins would clean up as good as that one did. :D
I agree she is a beauty. Congrats.
:headbang:

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Nice find! The bad news is that the 1858-O is one of the commonest dates in Seated halves, so the cleaning and surface porosity will hurt the value quite a bit. It had AU/Unc. details, and I would expect a final price of $40 to $80 if you were to sell it off in an Ebay auction. A certified, no-problem example of this coin in AU-55 could be purchased around $220. The reason the cleaning and porosity hurts the value so much is that collectors have many, many examples of this date from which to choose, so they can be fussy. Many people will not bid on a dug coin.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
I am showing my ignorance here, but what do you mean by porosity? I just started getting into coins this year so......I am stupid.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hypoman:
No ignorance at all; only a thirst for knowledge; congrats!!
Porosity is the little pits which cause a sandpaper-like finish; surface granularity.
Shady sellers may cover the pits with epoxy or shoe polish.
Value takes a greater hit the greater the porosity.
Don.....

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Thanks fer learnin me. Another question then, is it easy to tell if a coin has been covered with anything? Does look like it has been shalacked? (sp)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread