Van Zandt County, Texas. Where to hunt? Past experiences.

Manhunter

May 13, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know some places to MD in Van Zandt County Texas? If you've hunted in this area before, would love to hear your experience. Thank you!

I presume you are from Van Zandt County. THat is my home county. I am not familiar with any specific places other than that near the intersection of Highway 64 and I-20 (SE corner). THis used to be my family's property in the late 1800's and family folklore is that there was Jesse James and/or Quantrill gold buried there near the creek that runs across that corner section of land. I have been over the property myself back in the 80's with no luck, but now the property has been sold several times over and not sure if the current owner would be open to MD. I can tell you that over the years there have been numerous treasure hunters on the property with no luck. In the area near Rock Hill Cemetary (between Myrtle Springs and Edgewood) I have found Indian artifacts when I was a kid.

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I presume you are from Van Zandt County. THat is my home county. I am not familiar with any specific places other than that near the intersection of Highway 64 and I-20 (SE corner). THis used to be my family's property in the late 1800's and family folklore is that there was Jesse James and/or Quantrill gold buried there near the creek that runs across that corner section of land. I have been over the property myself back in the 80's with no luck, but now the property has been sold several times over and not sure if the current owner would be open to MD. I can tell you that over the years there have been numerous treasure hunters on the property with no luck. In the area near Rock Hill Cemetary (between Myrtle Springs and Edgewood) I have found Indian artifacts when I was a kid.

Poked around on Google Maps - would the creek be one of the lines seen in this view - one goes North and the other NE? Based on the map I see a group of trees just North of the label for W Dallas St, but also a patch at the end of that NE rut that bumps up against the area with lots of trees / some construction to the North / water to the East. Just curious!

https://maps.google.com/maps?client...F-8&ei=JRZ1U83kIdCPqAa4zICgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Manhunter

May 13, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poked around on Google Maps - would the creek be one of the lines seen in this view - one goes North and the other NE? Based on the map I see a group of trees just North of the label for W Dallas St, but also a patch at the end of that NE rut that bumps up against the area with lots of trees / some construction to the North / water to the East. Just curious!

https://maps.google.com/maps?client...F-8&ei=JRZ1U83kIdCPqAa4zICgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Yes that would be the creek. I runs NE from W Dallas St which the same as State Highway 64 and crosses current day I-20. I-20 cuts right through the middle of the former Travis property that was adjacent to another Travis family property that migrated to Van Zandt County from Mississippi about the same time. I believe that property is still in possession of that Travis family which is on the east side of Highway 64.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread