Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read countless comparisons and all are different, some say neither are better than the WS4s. Whats yalls opinions on them?

You know my take on this...lol.
George

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question. I've wondered the same. I dislike the WS-4s. So what is the opinions/verdict?

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from the WS to Vance Muffs, I love them, I have bad hearing and the Vances really elim outside noise, tones are great......

Jim

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Build your own with WS4 speakers, it's cheaper and there is no compromise in sound (see my DIY thread).

troynh

Jan 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto that 462. Just finished a set of Home Depot Muffs similar to yours. Work great and sound better. I opted to use some PC speakers instead of the WS4's.

After that I hacked my Gray Ghost's and now will use those as they sound just as good as the WS4's but feel super comfortable.

-Tim

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 101
  • finished1.JPG
    finished1.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 110
  • speaker1.JPG
    speaker1.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 124
  • speaker2.JPG
    speaker2.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 111
  • GG Apart1.JPG
    GG Apart1.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 120
  • GG Apart2.JPG
    GG Apart2.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 123
  • GG Apart3.JPG
    GG Apart3.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 103
  • GGMOD1.JPG
    GGMOD1.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 103
  • GGMOD2.JPG
    GGMOD2.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 103
  • GGMOD3.JPG
    GGMOD3.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 108
  • GGMOD4.JPG
    GGMOD4.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 108
  • GGMOD5.JPG
    GGMOD5.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 121
  • GGMOD6.JPG
    GGMOD6.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 113
  • GGMOD7.JPG
    GGMOD7.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job troynh and welcome to Treasure Net!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job on all the phones that I've seen. I am still not sure how you all notched the headphones to accommodate the adapter, but I am sure that it isn't too complicated.

troynh

Jan 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my 3M headset, I just strategically hot glued the original WS4 adapter on to the side of the plastic case. The Gray Ghost's use three screws and a pile of hot glue on the back to make sure it doesn't strip out.

-Tim

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job on all the phones that I've seen. I am still not sure how you all notched the headphones to accommodate the adapter, but I am sure that it isn't too complicated.

I marked the hole locations with a scribe then used a drill to start from and then a Dremel Tool to open the hole up and make a slot. I made the slots one at a time and slowly opened them up until tab dropped in. On mine the tabs don't actually lock the adapter in place but they do add some stability. The screw is what hold the adapter in place and I also put some epoxy in the holes to make it more secure.

You can see in this picture the holes for the tabs are a little over-sized, I just filled that in with epoxy after I made sure everything was were I wanted it and working.
20150201_090316.jpg

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I marked the hole locations with a scribe then used a drill to start from and then a Dremel Tool to open the hole up and make a slot. I made the slots one at a time and slowly opened them up until tab dropped in. On mine the tabs don't actually lock the adapter in place but they do add some stability. The screw is what hold the adapter in place and I also put some epoxy in the holes to make it more secure.

You can see in this picture the holes for the tabs are a little over-sized, I just filled that in with epoxy after I made sure everything was were I wanted it and working.
View attachment 1117329

Thanks. I have an older set of modified Killer Bees that I am going to cut slots into to accommodate the adapter.

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One other thing I did was cut down the posts behind the tabs some, so the adapter sits closer to the ear cup. You just need to make sure you leave enough clearance to allow the puck to slide on.

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I have an older set of modified Killer Bees that I am going to cut slots into to accommodate the adapter.

If you're going to use headphones that already have speakers in them, you may want to use one of these headphone adapters. they're designed a little different but you can just plug in your headphones and go.

Clip jack adaptor WS4-500x500.jpg

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am quite happy with the GG. I have not compared them to the Vance but guess it would either be a toss up or prefer one slightly over the other. I hear tones real well with the GG personally so I have no complaints.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I have about 6 hours with the Vance Muffs now so heres my opinion. The sounds are great, they sound just like the tones I am used to from the WS4s. They block out all ambient noise and seem to fit nice and snug. On the downside I find after an hour or so they start to hurt my ears, and I constantly have to readjust them so they dont sit on one part of my ear for too long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread