Vanishing Target Problem--Solved

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I was detecting in my yard when I got a copper penny signal. It was at 5+". I decided to use the shovel and make a large plug. The plug was about 7" across and8" deep. My son removed the plug and I checked the plug & hole. The signal was gone! I got my son to turn the plug on it's side and roll it a few inches. The signal returned in the plug. I picked up my hand held pointer and started to check the edges of the plug. The 1917 penny was at the edge of the plug at about6" down. I could see the mark where the shovel turned the penny 90 degrees. This is what caused the loss of the signal! There are probably additional causes of lost signal but this is one confermed reason.

Upvote 0
Many coins don't sink level or get covered equally with material so they give a tiny reading if at all. Sometimes by coming at an area from a different angle signals appear where there were none before.

Sandman said:
Many coins don't sink level or get covered equally with material so they give a tiny reading if at all. Sometimes by coming at an area from a different angle signals appear where there were none before.

I've encountered this many times. However, I sometimes wonder about those "changing" signals - the ones that sound or ID good swinging one way, but if you turn 90 degrees they show up as trash. I suppose they could be coins on edge that are close to trash, so when you get the "good" angle they sound good, but when you swing the "bad" angle, they don't come through strongly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back