Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the Weather.com site, yesterday was supposed to pretty nice water-wise... Uh huh... I drove the 2 hrs to get there, and the beach was closed due to Thunder storms... Waited them out, about 3 hrs, and the beach re-opened.. The surf was supposed to be <2 ft, another Uh huh... More like 3-5's.... I hunted the dry areas until 6:30 pm and found very little, $1.40 to be exact... Now here is where it got really frustrating.. Since buying my Excal, I have not been able to use it in the salt water, always due to weather.. So I was damned sure gonna get it in this day... 2 1/2 hrs of the most frustrating hunting I have ever done! I was cursing Poseidon like you wouldnt believe. I could not see my coil even in 2 ft of water, and every damn signal I got ended up taking me up to 20 min to locate due to the wave almost knocking me down, or because I couldnt see a foot down to pinpoint.. Then, after finally getting an "all clear" sweep of the spot, finding stupid pull tabs or beavertails in my scoop... I didnt even find one coin in that time.. I was also amazed at the amount of garbage on this beach- pop tabs, pull tabs, can slaw, etc..
I only saw one other hunter the entire time, a guy that just moved here from Maine.. He didnt find anything, but it didnt appear that he was very experienced swinging. He had an Excal II also..
Since this is my first time to Venice to hunt, is this not a good beach? I had hunted shark teeth there before, and although I didnt see the crowds that I see on so many other beaches, I know the area has some wealthier people living there..

Total swinging time was about 8 hrs.... What a disappointing day, but I guess everyone has them..

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew!! I thought you was talking about Venice, LA. I believe they would had put you to work laying out booms. Or rather, you may not had been allowed in.

:wink: RR

WingFat Louie

May 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blame the politicians.

1:replenishment.
2:concrete barriers that imped normal sand flow

Venice beach and Sharky's are no longer "The shark tooth capitol of the world".

Thanks to professional politicians!

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I am so sorry that you had a bad day. We ALL have them from time to time. I was down there last year and it was the same for me except I was to nerves to even try getting in the water and stayed on the dry sand. That is a long way from me so I don't get down there very often. But.... it is NOT always that way. A lot of gng's hunt down that way and find some really nice things. Just hang in there and hopefully it will get better for you. :wink:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep at it my friend... you'll get yours soon enough!! The weather can't be bad forever....
I may be going down to the Anna Maria Island area again toward the end of the week (likely Thur or Fri) to do a little detectin' with Deb again while she's in town. You & your wife are welcome to join us. :)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=321870.new#new

WingFat Louie said:
Blame the politicians.

1:replenishment.
2:concrete barriers that imped normal sand flow

Venice beach and Sharky's are no longer "The shark tooth capitol of the world".

Thanks to professional politicians!

Hmm, that would explain all the dang changes over the years right there by Sharky's. Uhg! >:(
There's gotta be an area that the new flow is taking the teeth... must... find... teeth!!! ;D

Bran <><

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the invite Bran, but I have to drive up to Jax.... Checking out to see if the repair on my heart reversed the damage.. Wish me luck!
I have dove a few times at venice, found some nice Meg teeth and one that is stunning... But man, that beach now goes from ankle to chest deep in about 10 yds... But then I saw teens out 75 yds from shore in hip deep... I would have gone out there, but I was already taking a pounding where I was, and the current was horrendous..
We still need to go hit that swimming hole we spoke about. Hopefully it will be better to us than my other "hot spot" was.... LOL..
Tell Deb hello for Pam and I...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, I'll be praying for you and your doctor's visit! I hope the tests come out positive for you....
Yes, we sure do!! You just let me know when you wanna go. :)
The first weekend in June will be out for me though, as I'll be going with my brother to take the guys from his youth group camping (likely) up in the Ocala National Forest... unless we change the location.
I'll let Deb know you all say hello... keep in touch!

Bran <><

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Ralph lives right across the street and as soon as a coin or a ring hits the bottom it sends out an alarm and it is immediately recovered ;D ;D ;D ;D

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Ralph lives right across the street and as soon as a coin or a ring hits the bottom it sends out an alarm and it is immediately recovered ;D ;D ;D ;D

well really its a toss up between Ralph & GuerillaBill

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I do live across the street from Venice beach, less than 100 feet from the sand.

And even though I detect every day, I rarely detect Venice beach because:

1. The dry sand on most of Venice beach is so hard that when items are dropped, they remain on the surface. Easy for the person who dropped it to pick it up.

2. The dry sand on most of the beach is only about 3 inches deep - then you hit hard limestone or coral

3. Most of the visitors at Venice beach are local retirees who live in nearby condos, and they have better sense than wear jewelry to the beach

4. Venice beach is detected by about 10 people each day. This keeps the beach pretty clear of targets.

5. Not many visitors to Venice beach get in the water. Due to average age of Venice citizen being over 70.

6. Venice beach was re-nourished two years ago. All the sand is new (and hard).

7. Like many beaches, Venice beach is sanded in right now.

8. There are better beaches just a few miles away.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions