MiniMe

Here's a good jerky recipe for venison.

1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 lb thinly sliced venison (1/4 inch thick)

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except meat. Whisk to mix well. Place meat 3 or 4 layers thick in plastic container that can be sealed, spooning mixture over each layer as it is added. Cover tightly. Marinate 6 to 12 hours in the refrigerator, shaking bowl up occasionally and keeping tightly covered. Lay out meat on drying racks of dehydrator, making sure that slices are not overlapping or touching. Dehydrate following your equipments instructions.

Enjoy!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minime,

Aren't those dehydrators the neatest things? That was the # 1 reason for buying mine years ago, just for making jerky. It took longer in the process of marinating and drying than it did for son and friends to eat. When out of venison, I normally got a roast and had it sliced thin. Seems I was making jerky all the time, much more cheaper this way than buying the ready made stuff.

Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!!

;) RR

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Yep, normally the kids have finished eating it before the last batch is finished drying. Thanks for the tip on using the roast, I've never made beef jerky, only venison.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last batch of venison jerkey I made had too much moisture and mildewed in the bag! What a waste of good meat. But I don't have a dehydrater and just made it in the oven. I may have to invest in a dehydrator. No, I guess I should invest in one. Monty

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Yep, I've done it in the oven before also. Take way toooooo long and I didn't like the texture or moisture in the meat. The dehydrator works much better and they're really not that expensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread