Very large Gorhan Sterling Bowl or Centerpiece

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.....hope everyone is doing well during these interesting/challenging times.

I'm not going out that much and from the activity level here, I assume many are in the same boat.

Yesterday, I went to a sales at a very wealthy person's house. First thing I see, right at the front door, is this large silver thing with some old, dry rotted, fake flowers. I check everything and what do you know, it paid off! I was early, but I definitely was not the first person. It was just so large that the others probably didn't bother to check. I think its the largest piece of silver I've ever found in the wild.

It's marked Gorham Sterling 86 with some kind of maker mark in the middle (I feel like I've seen this mark before). I can find a "No 86" on Replacements.com but there is only one piece and the picture is terrible. I also don't know what kind of "bowl" this is. The shape is kind of odd.

Does anyone have a good place to research Gorham patterns (Besides Replacements.com)? What would this type of bowl be used for? Any ideas on the center mark? (It looks very familiar)

happy hunting everyone...bill

IMG_20200830_103844.jpg
IMG_20200830_103859.jpg
IMG_20200830_103908.jpg

It's on a pedestal. The picture above is the bottom.

IMG_20200830_103922~2.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bowl. The mark is that of the William B. Durgin Company founded in 1853 in Concord, New Hampshire. Gorham bought them in 1905 but they continued to operate under their own name while transitioning to being fully absorbed by about 1924 and then moving to Providence in 1932. They continued producing as the Durgin Division of Gorham until about 1940, using their own mark alongside Gorham's.

I don’t know the pattern off-hand but ornate footed pierced bowls like this were/are just generically sold as ‘centre-piece’ bowls and sometimes as ‘wedding bowls’ (for which purpose they would have been gifted at the time of marriage to hold the bride’s flowers).

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red Coat....super helpful. I knew that silver mark looked familiar. The usage makes sense too. To me, the center part is shaped a bit like a dog bowl. If I ever get a dog, I think it would be funny to use as a dog bowl. Such a regal dog bowl and a great way to hide it in plain sight! Will update with weight when I find a large enough scale.

thank again!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice score, congrats! :occasion14:

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s amazing! Excellent find.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an excellent find! That will polish up really nice too! Well done.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one Bill.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that first pic looks like a dang hubcap. huuuge!!!!!

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what was the selling price for the dog bowl

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that is a solid piece of silver for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions