What's new

Very large minie from Union camp

Nick A

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
153
Golden Thread
0
Location
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Found this today at a site that was a Union camp in the Civil War. I've only ever found smaller size minies, so this seems unusually large. I've pictured it with an Indian head and two of the smaller minies, which are what I usually find. The diameter is about the same as a dime. Any info on what I've got here?
 

Attachments

  • minie 1.webp
    minie 1.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 111
  • minie 2.webp
    minie 2.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 103
  • minie 3.webp
    minie 3.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 8
Found this today at a site that was a Union camp in the Civil War. I've only ever found smaller size minies, so this seems unusually large. I've pictured it with an Indian head and two of the smaller minies, which are what I usually find. The diameter is about the same as a dime. Any info on what I've got here?

The one in the center, with two rings, is called a Prussian bullet. It was used in the Prussian rifled musket, which was an early war import issued to a lot of Ohio infantry. They were gradually replaced with the Springfield rifled musket as the war progressed. They are not rare, but they are by no means something you find everyday. Looks like yours may have been fired.
 
COOL LEAD................
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom