Very large vertebra...

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I found this yesterday in a creek while arrowhead hunting, It seeme to be fossilized on the outside of the bone but the marrow is kind of squishy. Its heavy but also is waterloged. Its over 11 inches long, the pic shows either a cow or deer vertebra with it. What is this from? Im thinking a mammoth or mastadon?

(First pic shows dollar bill folded for size reference)

Attachments

• vert2.jpg
    vert2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 833
  • vert.jpg
    vert.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG00296-20100531-2203.jpg
    IMG00296-20100531-2203.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 687

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
Looks like a mammoth or mastodon vert. Cool find! 8) 8) 8) :)

Attachments

• Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,158
  • Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 676

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Worthy55 said:
If it were one of those, why does his look like it a has a much smaller pad area and larger open area? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
Im confused

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
jdsarasin8194 said:
Worthy55 said:
If it were one of those, why does his look like it a has a much smaller pad area and larger open area? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
Im confused

His vert is more complete than mine . As for size there will be some difference in where it is located in the spine and with the animals age. I would not rule out whale either?8) 8) 8) :)

OP
OP
all_atv

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I thought maybe whale too but I dont think its completly fosilized as the marrow is squishy. And since I'm in Iowa We were under oceans a very long time ago so it would be completly fossilized if it were whale. But I also think there were not any animals that large it the ocens at that time. I am going to try and take it to a universitie to get it checked out.

I also found out they very rarely have the bridge attached, usuallu just the pad is intact.

cthulhu

May 28, 2010
Tampa Bay
If part of the object is still "squishy", I'd say it's not fossilized yet and a recent object. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Either a Mammoth or Mastodon Vert.

Some will not be totally preserved.

I have found limb bones that were still soft inside but at least 10,000 years old.

According to where they have laid all this time.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
all_atv said:
I thought maybe whale too but I dont think its completly fosilized as the marrow is squishy. And since I'm in Iowa We were under oceans a very long time ago so it would be completly fossilized if it were whale. But I also think there were not any animals that large it the ocens at that time. I am going to try and take it to a universitie to get it checked out.

I also found out they very rarely have the bridge attached, usuallu just the pad is intact.
The term "fossilized" is almost useless in a clinical sense, since a fossil is merely a preserved remnant of earlier life. The term indicates nothing about HOW the remnant is preserved.

You may be confusing "fossilized" with "mineralized" or "permineralized." Even so, the latter terms only suggest that the bone has been exposed long enough to be perfused with or replaced by some mineral (usually SiO[size=10pt]2
).

But, some bones can be preserved as bone, at least the mineral portion (hydroxyapatite) of the bone. That may be why the delicate cancellous bone on the interior feels "squishy" under pressure. You may be crushing the bone with your fingers.[/size]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread