What's new

very portable archeological sifting screen

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i thought this would be interesting to those of you that use a screen


 
Upvote 0
Cool! Thanks for sharing this.
 
They work great for fossil hunting also.
I've always just made mine with hardware screen and 1"x2"s from the local lumber supplier. I even strapped a foam "noodle" around one so I could float it while fossil hunting the peace river for shark teeth..among other fossils like..horse,Tapir,Mastadon, ground sloth..ect...
 
Got this sperm whale tooth recently.

ForumRunner_20130314_150344.webp
 
Yes.. they didn't exist here. I've seen many of these.
 
Jaguars did though.

JaguarJaw.webp
 
That's a really neat portable sifter! Thank for sharing Steve. :icon_thumright:
 
I made a small version of a shaker screen before I knew what it was called, but I made mine to help me catch soft shelled sand fleas on the beach so I could use them for bait to catch Pompano. :angel3:

Roy
 
I think in sandy soils or dry soils it might be ok. The problem I see is our soil is so heavy even when dry you can not fill it very full. Shelters soils tend to be more fluffy. Open air sites it is dirt clods. A 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full can be a lot to get thru a screen. I may make one similar to that and give it a try. I also like the tri pod sifters or a bucket sifter if I have water.
Neat link Larson. I hope you sift some of your edges this summer where you can not plow.
 
I made a small version of a shaker screen before I knew what it was called, but I made mine to help me catch soft shelled sand fleas on the beach so I could use them for bait to catch Pompano. :angel3:

Roy

I have a couple sand flea rakes.
 
Round about 15-20 thousand years old..was the bone bed it came from. Pretty young relatively speaking.
 
Round about 15-20 thousand years old..was the bone bed it came from. Pretty young relatively speaking.

Yeah, I would have thought nearer a million years. No matter of its age, it is still wicked looking.
 
The sperm whale tooth.. well cousin of.. is over 5 million
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom