Very strange looking vintage metal decorative??? What is it?

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
My first MD hunt didn't do too well at an old church. Found 1 1990 quarter quadzillions of pull tabs, bullets, cans. Right off the bat I found this and have no clue what it is I didn't bring it home seem like no reason to. Maybe ya'll can figured what it is.

Attachments

• 1213081522.jpg
    1213081522.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 657

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a school desk or sewing machine , they look pertty much alike, Cast iron?
Monty

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a small child I can remember sitting on the floor by my grandmother while she sewed on her old treadle sewing machine. She showed me how everything worked, how to load the thread and change the bobbin when it was empty. Great memories.
I can also remember sitting at one of those old desks with the cast iron legs from first grade through junior high. Dang, I remember hating those new fangled student desks that you had to wear instead of sitting on. The old desks had a top that lifted and you could put all your school supplies plus a slingshot and a frog or grass snake in it . It also had an inkwell although we never used ink and pen, just those big fat blue pencils. Two people had to share a desk before they built the new school and there was room for two to sit at the old desks. Once in grade school I had to sit by an,ugh, girl! Later in junior high I wanted to sit by a girl, but it was hard to sit there and try to keep from touching thighs which was like a jolt of electricity. It was just annoying to the girls however. But I wander off subject.......
Whichever it may have come from, I would spend more time searching around that area because you may be near an old school site or an old homestead site. Monty

Upvote 0

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
walking 5 miles (up hill both ways) to school barefoot, thru a blizzard, after getting up at 3:00 in the morning to milk a herd of cows

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"He ain't heavy, he's my brother"! Come on now guys I'm not that old, I just can't help but tell a story when the opportunity exists. And I only lived 2 blocks from the school and my dad drove me to school when it snowed in his '42 ex-military Jeep! ;D The only time, and last time I tried to milk a cow she stuck her foot in the bucket! I hated that cow! ::) Monty

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think anyone within 6 miles had to walk in my neighborhood. I know I walked up several steeep hills in the morning cold, to get to school in Pittsburgh, but coming home was all downhill and fun, as we slid on our bookbags in the icey snow covered roadway back down to the hollow. ;D Had a good childhood. I remember the old desks but cant recall treadles.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just-geese said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I think anyone within 6 miles had to walk in my neighborhood. I know I walked up several steeep hills in the morning cold, to get to school in Pittsburgh, but coming home was all downhill and fun, as we slid on our bookbags in the icey snow covered roadway back down to the hollow. ;D Had a good childhood. I remember the old desks but cant recall treadles.

Book bags???? You must have been one of those rich kids, best we did was dad's old wore out belt to carry books with, cut it off and make a new hole in it LOL
Certainly not. My Dad WAS a union worker, however, at US Steel. 2 bucks an hour was decent pay I guess. We lived in the hollow with a coal furnace. Just went outside and shoveled some up. We also played in the abandoned mines. I vaguely remember having some kind of bag to carry the books in; leather I think. We called them "bookbags" and they worked very well as sleds. A sled we didnt have. :D

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'56 Chevy hoods? Why on earth would they use the hood off a brand new car? Dang, now I forgot the subject of the post. Oh yes, what is it. Hope you narrowed your what is it down a bit Jimmy. Forgive our mindless chatter. Monty

Upvote 0

Pangus

Jul 2, 2005
Georgia
Monty said:
As a small child I can remember sitting on the floor by my grandmother while she sewed on her old treadle sewing machine. She showed me how everything worked, how to load the thread and change the bobbin when it was empty. Great memories.
I can also remember sitting at one of those old desks with the cast iron legs from first grade through junior high. Dang, I remember hating those new fangled student desks that you had to wear instead of sitting on. The old desks had a top that lifted and you could put all your school supplies plus a slingshot and a frog or grass snake in it . It also had an inkwell although we never used ink and pen, just those big fat blue pencils. Two people had to share a desk before they built the new school and there was room for two to sit at the old desks. Once in grade school I had to sit by an,ugh, girl! Later in junior high I wanted to sit by a girl, but it was hard to sit there and try to keep from touching thighs which was like a jolt of electricity. It was just annoying to the girls however. But I wander off subject.......
Whichever it may have come from, I would spend more time searching around that area because you may be near an old school site or an old homestead site. Monty

I like to fancy myself handy around mechanical stuff, but I am certain, there are things that operate solely on the premise of black magic, and sewing machines are one of those things. I can operate, and even setup a sewing machine. I understand where the parts are, and what their jobs are, but there is no other explanation to its end result, other than the dark arts. Sewing machines, automatic transmissions, and rubik's cubes...they're are others... but I dare not speak their names...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jimmy@romega

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Re: Very strange looking vintage metal decorative??? What is it? (update)

Maybe this will help, I went back today to do more MDing and went back to look at it and it read (dixie) in one area and (columbus, ga) in another area. Done a search and found nothing maybe someone can figure it out.

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, sorta looks like from sewing machine or school desk, but my memory want to say from a old theatre seat. I hope you brought it home this time. Clean it up and spray paint tack on your house to hang a flower pot from. You need to start bringing home all your finds. ;D

Attachments

7.2 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread