What's new

Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Hey Ya'll, As I typed in my other post, it is great to be back. For those of you who didn't know, I've had a terrible case of 'shingles' for the past 31 days. Today is the first time I have been able to MD, and got out for about an hour, and found some interesting pieces.

Piece #1 looks to be brass, Victorian, and other than that, I don't have a clue. I thought it might be some type of jewelry or embellishment since it has 4 prongs in the center. There is not a connecting area anywhere that I can see.

Piece #2 appears to be a lead coat or cloak weight, but I'm not sure. It looks like it has the letter "E" on the front side.

As always, thank you, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 1BrassWhateverFront.webp
    1BrassWhateverFront.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 346
  • 2BrassWhateverSide.webp
    2BrassWhateverSide.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 3BrassWhateverBack.webp
    3BrassWhateverBack.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 1CoatWeightFront.webp
    1CoatWeightFront.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 2CoatWeightBack.webp
    2CoatWeightBack.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 340
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Definitely a curtain/hem weight. The other? I think I found one in copper before. Backing for something? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Lucas said:
Definitely a curtain/hem weight. The other? I think I found one in copper before. Backing for something? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

Lucas, thanks for your RSVP. Why do you think it is a curtain weight instead of a coat/cloak weight? :dontknow: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

I don't know that there is a difference? :dontknow: Coat, cloak, hem, curtain...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Just a real wild guess, Breezy, but could your first item have been a candle holder with those four prongs.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

From a Christmas tree maybe? Good idea!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

duggap said:
Just a real wild guess, Breezy, but could your first item have been a candle holder with those four prongs.

Duggy thanks for the idea, but the area where the prongs are located is too small to hold a candle. That opening only measures about 1/4 of an inch. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

The way item one is curved I would think it went on a column or something round,, :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Breezie Sorry to hear about your bout with shingles :( I remember my uncle right many years ago having a time with them.And I know all about the nerve pain as I need my ulnar nerve transportation surgery done.I was hoping it would get better if I tried to change my ways but it may have some but no feeling still and times of throbing pain.Just waiting now to see as it only grows 1mm per day.As long as I'm not getting worse with it I'm tring to hold out.
Your first one looks like some kind of tension washer is my best guess.Here are some that would be for clocks. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • !BfFO9)Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiYErymrQ)eNBK+-mz6GS!~~_35[1].webp
    !BfFO9)Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiYErymrQ)eNBK+-mz6GS!~~_35[1].webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Thanks for the ideas on a Christmas tree candle holder. Since I had some left over birthday candles, I thought I'd check for a fit. The pink candle was too small, but the blue one was slightly larger and a perfect fit. I was under the impression the Victorian Christmas tree candles were somewhat bigger than BD candles. In the past, we've sold the repro Vic. tree candle holders in our shop, and the base was about the size of a Chap-Stick tube, which is twice (or more) of the size of a BD candle.

Pete, sorry to hear about your ulnar pain. And, yes, nerve pain will make you want to hurt somebody! Since yours is moving 1 mm at a day that can buy you some time so you can pick/choose when you want to have your surgery. Thanks for the imput on item #1. I'll do some research on tension washers.
 

Attachments

  • 4BrassWhateverCandle.webp
    4BrassWhateverCandle.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

http://www.textol.com/d_items.asp?cat=04

Scroll down and look closely, you will see the letter E.
drapery weight.webp

Could the tabs stick into the larger candle base? I had shingles on half my back, eventually went away. They prescribed pain killers..
 

Attachments

  • drapery weight.webp
    drapery weight.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

Greetings Breezie, glad to hear you are feeling better,
perfect ID on the curtainweight BigCypress!
that birthday candle fits, Hope you get a +++ ID on that piece!
Best to You! Herbie.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

glad to hear you are doing better; the pain from shingles can be very debilitating.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

It don't seem like thay would have used a birthday cake size candle on a Christmas tree, the small candles burn way too fast.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Victorian Brass ThingieBob & Lead Coat Weight ?

I cant remember how long I had shingles. I remember the weight of a shirt alone caused severe pain. As far as I remember the rash is always on the upper torso and always on one side or the other (half the back or face for example) I dont have much faith in doctors these days but I believe I had shingles as well but it went away completely never to return is the good news.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom