Video - found some quartz crystals and other minerals beside the road

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!!! I wish I could find that material in a rock dump on the side of the road!!! Did you find anything else? If so, do you have some pics of them?

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the same thing here in Texas. Within 70 miles of San Antonio, I've collected calcite geodes, quartz, granite, Llanite(pink granite with small blue calcite crystals) found in only one place in the world, garnets, topaz, gold and silver. Most from right off the highway or the creeks(mostly dry). Used to sell well at flea markets or our antique store. Tons of fossils too. Keep searching. You are correct. Never know what you will find...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it wasn't raining and if I had more time, I would have moved some of the rocks in the tailings piles to see what else might be interesting. Excuses, excuses. The really nice thing about tailings and roads made with tailings, is most of the work has already been done. Going in the rain is actually fairly effective, as shiny stuff really shines when wet.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recognize that tendency. :occasion14: Road cuts are the purest tourist traps...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny how things work out. I checked my club calendar and found out that they had a collecting trip organized for the actual mine, so I joined up last minute.

I learned more history about the area. It is a skarn deposit and loaded with many interesting crystals. It is still an active site with miles of tailings to comb through. I will definitely be going back. From my cleanup, it seems the best crystals are typically hidden in calcite and I am having fun with muriatic acid (I hate the stuff). I took a number of rocks that had a hint of something there and am pleased that some contain wonderful crystal clusters.

Here is the video of my trip, but I had to throw away much of the better video because it was a really windy day and I edited out the worst of the wind noise footage.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video, think I may have seen some almandine garnets and maybe some epidote crystals?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread