Video of possible Civil War ship smoke stack in swamp.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[video=facebook;420678211334181]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=420678211334181&set=vb.420670428001626&type=2&theater[/video]

Finally figured out to upload video here. This was found in the swamp next to a creek in a area they held prisoners,etc. Behind this about 30 yards in is a Cannon pit which you will see towards the end of the video. Have found alot of cannon parts and bricks around the cannon pit with the word "savage" on them from the Savage Fire Brick co. during the war. Will go back next week to ID it better, i found the spot @ 2pm and had to get out at 3pm due to a 2 hour hike out.

Thanks and good hunting.

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like I've got briar scratches all over me. :laughing9: looks like that place needs a detector ran over it.

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep indeed.. Try metal detecting in this area in the summer you will be filled with poison ivy, water snakes that are deadly and a million insects. This wouldn't even be remotely noticeable in the summer, you could be standing right next to it and not even see it. Man do i love winter :laughing9:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i swear i seen the blair witch ,,, happy hunting

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lool. Indeed, when I was first looking for it about 3 weeks ago I couldn't find it due to a heavy thick fog, you could only see a few yards in front of you in the swamp and yah it felt a little spooky, didn't find it that day to say the least... :occasion14:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If that's what it is, then you've got a banner find. Not to put a damper on anything, and you may have already considered this, but if it is in fact a part of a CW vessel, then you could have an archeologically significant discovery. You might want to consult someone about your local and state laws about this. Of course, if it's on private property, that may not be necessary, but still desirable. Just a thought. Thanks for sharing - very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread