What's new

Vintage Brass or Copper Pan with Lid

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang,
I just bought this old brass (?) copper (?) pan with lid that measures 12 1/2 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches tall. As you can see it is marked: U.S. 1383 on the handle. Any help and information on an ID would be appreciated. Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BrassPan1.webp
    BrassPan1.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 398
  • BrassPan2.webp
    BrassPan2.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 385
  • BrassPan3.webp
    BrassPan3.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 380
Re: Civil War (?) Brass or Copper Pan with Lid

Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
The engraving looks unprofessional. My guess an inventory number.

BCH, I agree, the engraving is unprofessional, but why would a general merchandize company engrave an inventory number on an item unless it was the military?

Wonder if 1383 was a regiment, troop, sqaudron,etc. :dontknow: Breezie

Maybe early US Geological Survey? U.S. Engineering Corps? Both of those would use sieves, and both started shortly after the civil war. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War (?) Brass or Copper Pan with Lid

Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
The engraving looks unprofessional. My guess an inventory number.

BCH, I agree, the engraving is unprofessional, but why would a general merchandize company engrave an inventory number on an item unless it was the military?

Breezie
I dont think it was engraved by the merchandise company. It looks way to unprofessional. My guess it was done by the owner, possibly at a later date.. :dontknow:

Looking at it with a loupe may reveal. engraver.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War (?) Brass or Copper Pan with Lid

author=batcap


Maybe early US Geological Survey? U.S. Engineering Corps? Both of those would use sieves, and both started shortly after the civil war. :dontknow:

There's 2 good ideas; thanks BC . . I'm headed to google to see what I can find. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War (?) Brass or Copper Pan with Lid

I also agree the owner was probably the US government.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Civil War (?) Brass or Copper Pan with Lid

The first thing I thought of was the containers they had in the rock quarry I worked at. Basically the same thing batcap and daroofa were talking about
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom