Vintage Japanese Art ID

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to find out any information about these vintage Japanese prints. Does anyone know the subject matter or the artist or possible age? Thanks for any information.

MVC-011S.JPG MVC-002S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG MVC-007S.JPG MVC-008S.JPG MVC-009S.JPG MVC-010S.JPG

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
The style is ukiyo-e, which is daily living type scenes. Commonly (originally) made in the 18th and 19th century, but many many prints done later.
looks like they're making scrolls in one of 'em (or maybe their version of practicing the ABC's) which looks so familiar I think I might have a copy of it as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You nhbenz for the information. I am still trying to find out a possible value and if they might be originals or just prints. They appear to be pretty old.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Nice, and those are indeed prints. The original paintings were by the Japanese ukiyo-e artist Utagawa Toyohiro (1773–1828). His works include a number of ukiyo-e landscape series, as well as many depictions of the daily activities in the Yoshiwara entertainment quarter.

They’re two from a set of four titled “The Four Accomplishments”. Traditionally, these sets depicted the four skills expected of a scholar: music, painting, calligraphy, and competence in the board game weiqi (which Toyohiro replaced in his painting with the similar game called sugoroku). Also, he shifted the traditional settings in the group from pursuits by scholars to pursuits by courtesans of the entertainment district.

These are prints reproduced from the originals, which are in the Freer Gallery of the Smithsonian, gifted by Charles Lang Freer in the early 1900s:

Toyohiro1.jpg

Toyohiro2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread