What's new

Vintage Military detector

chub

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2017
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
2,250
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old detector today. Not sure if it was intended primarily for landmines? Anyway , paid about $25 USD. Took it home and made up the two battery packs from 5 x 3.6 V lithium batteries that I had left over from another project. Originals are 16.5v ( actually 17.6 v when fully charged) so 18v is close enough.
I soldered on the connections and it fired right up! Does anyone know ow if these are PI?
I may flip it, not that there's a huge margin. The satisfaction of getting it operating was enough for me.

Chub
 

Attachments

  • 20170825_175536.webp
    20170825_175536.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 20170825_163631.webp
    20170825_163631.webp
    588.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170825_175805.webp
    20170825_175805.webp
    356.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Good job!

Now, it would be a shame if you didn't take it out to see how well it worked. And of course let us know the results! We're a hungry audience!
 
I see milsurps at gunshows now and then. Usually in the $100 range with no guarantee that they work. I'd have jumped all over a $25 one! Yes. please let us know how it goes. (I bet you can find a manual online somewhere)
 
I will let you know what happens. The headphones work but the rubber is perished on one side. The Alkaline batteries that were in it expired 22 years ago! The coil is very heavy. The patina is just right though and it looks cool - a nice man cave trophy....

Chub
 
For $25.00 bucks it's a cool old "relic" to admire hanging on your man cave wall as you stated. I may be curious enough to use it for a time or two but, being a heavy beast I reckon it would not become my go to unit. Thanks for sharing.
 
For $25.00 bucks it's a cool old "relic" to admire hanging on your man cave wall as you stated. I may be curious enough to use it for a time or two but, being a heavy beast I reckon it would not become my go to unit. Thanks for sharing.


Get a harness! You'd be the talk of the neighborhood pulling gold and silver out with that one.
 
That unit is quite modern compared to the WWII model that I once had. I got mine working but the batteries were very expensive and didn't last very long. It was fun to play around with though because it drew a lot of attention.
 
That unit is quite modern compared to the WWII model that I once had. I got mine working but the batteries were very expensive and didn't last very long. It was fun to play around with though because it drew a lot of attention.

I agree that the OP's unit is not that old. Perhaps Vietnam era ? Cool conversation piece :)
 
I flipped it for $130 today. To guy that collects military pieces. He was thrilled - and thought he got a bargain! So evreyone was happy....the $100 will go towards a dual field or seahunter.

Chub
 
Great job on the find, repair and flip.
 
You made money, collector got a good deal-everyone is :hello2: congrats.
I had two units I bought in surplus auction 20+yrs ago. Each had the typical military carrying case which consisted of rope handles on the end of a wooden case 3'x1'x1' and weighing in around 50lbs total. Lol
Sold them to a buddy that did prop rentals to the movie sets for a $100 each.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom