Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my metal detecting for the states, it says Virginia State Parks you can detect with a permit.
going next summer to a state park in Cape Charles on the beach.

Then I read a review of the campground on the net checking into it, and someone posted no metal detecting allowed.

huh?

I will probably call the state park later....but wondering, is anyone detecting in the viriginia state parks with a permit like my list of states says is allowed?

thanks

Upvote 0

Rich-VB

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
My Experience

Hey FarmerChic,

I can tell you that I was run out of 1st Landing State Park (Virginia Beach) last year. I hunted it a few times over the years and thought it was cool, then one day, hunting in the sand on the Bay side of the park where the campground is, a Park ranger waved me in from the shallow wter. He was cool, just said that detecting was illegal in State Parks and that I had to leave.

So maybe if you find a cool one they might let you, but this guy said it was illegal in all VA State Parks.
Good luck,
-Rich

On my metal detecting for the states, it says Virginia State Parks you can detect with a permit.
going next summer to a state park in Cape Charles on the beach.

Then I read a review of the campground on the net checking into it, and someone posted no metal detecting allowed.

huh?

I will probably call the state park later....but wondering, is anyone detecting in the viriginia state parks with a permit like my list of states says is allowed?

thanks

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Rich do you think if you came in by boat he would have had the right to...Here in Maryland, unless it is Historical, you can hunt the water upto the High tide mark. Riparian rights. I do know I hunted a State Park a Year ago, the rangers came, then the DNR came and just watched, then left. Scared the daylights out of us becasue they were pointing, talking, arms crossed.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted in several state parks over the years and the critical part as far as the state park is effected is the actual boundaries of that park. I was even allowed to hunt in the water at one National Park after pointing out that the boundary of that park stopped at the waterline. Prior to that we were told, "not allowed". In some cases it's simply assumed that the beach includes the water but in many cases that's not true. Takes some research and a few phone calls before you go.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Rich. that was interesting. my research shows it is legal with a permit. See, that is what gets me :) no one knows what the other hand is saying and doing. ugh

Thanks for the great replies guys!!! I will call the state park and have a long chat about this-----because of this I booked this trip. THINKING I could easily get the permit permission. but something tells me it isn't giong to happen and believe me I will be ticked. I book beaches to hunt. I thought I would be hunting this trip while camping. BLECK.

Virginia http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/
§1.13 Metal Detectors
No person shall use a metal detector or similar device within a park without the express written permission of the Park Authority.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK

I emailed the park. I read up and it all states that with permission you are allowed in state parks.

I wrote and asked what I have to do to get this permission as I will be there in July and I want to detect the beaches.

I will report back when I get an answer. should be interesting for sure!! :)

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my answer and it is a bunch of BS to me.

Metal detectors are not allowed at Kiptopeke State Park.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND THIS IS WHAT I JUST DID.

sent an email to the actual Dept. of Virginia Recreation asking about their laws. And I asked if an individual park can deny permission by itself while others will grant it?

and I asked, if I metal detect IN THE WATER with my underwater metal detector, is it legal?

HUH should be interesting to see what response I get back on this email LOL I am ticked off but now having fun with it asking a zillion questions just to see the outcome.

PhotoScout

Greenie
Nov 15, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, MineLab XT 18000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At one particular state park here in California, it’s okay to use a metal detector on the beach if you are trying to find something for someone that got lost. Hint?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND THIS IS WHAT I JUST DID.

sent an email to the actual Dept. of Virginia Recreation asking about their laws. And I asked if an individual park can deny permission by itself while others will grant it?

and I asked, if I metal detect IN THE WATER with my underwater metal detector, is it legal?

HUH should be interesting to see what response I get back on this email LOL I am ticked off but now having fun with it asking a zillion questions just to see the outcome.

As far as "park rules"...yes, in many states park managers can set many of their individual park rules. And as for the water, they will still say "no" because they will naturally assume it is part of the park, which in reality, it may not be, even as a complete surprise to them. There's just no getting around doing all the research yourself if you really think it is worth it. Try looking under recreational mining laws on Virginia state land, also mineral resources information, etc. Some of these may offer clue as to who might really be in charge of what and where. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is what I just got back-----and you know I am going to shoot off another email LOL

All Virginia State Parks are covered by the Virginia Antiquities Act which does not allow metal detecting. The only exception is that we do allow metal detecting on man-made, designated swimming beaches with prior permission from the park manager. While Kiptopeke has a beach designated for swimming and sun-bathing, it is not a man-made beach. Therefore there is no metal detecting allowed.

Unfortunately, since underwater is not our jurisdiction, I am not sure about metal detecting off-shore. I’d recommend trying either the Virginia Marine Resources Commission or the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

Thank you,
Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation
Richmond, Virginia

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Big!!

I tell ya they couldn't make it any harder. NOW I do understand their 'rules about ''beaches''---no where does it say anything about man-made beaches in any of their rules. hmm...someone just made it up probably LOL LOL

PhotoScout---I like your HINT :) I have thought about that before definitely, my luck, I would be jailed as an example

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is like navigating a mine field :BangHead:

I am sure I can get into the water. I do not see no reason why I can't but I will shoot off an email to both of the places they recommend just to get a general feeling. Just a general question about water detecting. again, here we go, should be interesting to see what answer comes back.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least they admitted up front that they didn't have jurisdiction in/under the water, most often they simply assume they do because it is naturally assumed as being part of their beach. Your goal now is to find out who, exactly, actually has that jurisdiction and then what rules/regulations apply. But be forewarned, even if you speak with the right people and they tell you it is allowed, you will usually be very hard pressed to get that from them in writing. Part of the problem is that it's simply not been challenged before and nobody wants to stick their head out of the cloud for fear of upsetting the boat. But you are on the right track now. Good Luck!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL in writing. that is exactly what I do want. I was thinking I am taking these emails with me if someone says I can detect the water --I want it on paper :)
that way when I land in jail I have something to hand someone to read HAHA

the nice thing is this state park is on the cheseapeake bay and there are no waves. water is SUPER shallow even out far so detecting in the water will be a stinking cake walk if I am allowed. I will be fine for easy detecting.

well can't wait for my answers tomorrow to see what happens :)

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,Welcome to my world. Sounds like everyone lives in NY.
Same bunch of crap here.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
park

we hunted kiptopeake beach for many many years and found some of our (my oldest coins) oldest coins ever high up in the dune line just up from the swimming beach..1999 thru 2005 or 06 - i forget, one day we were unloading our detectors from truck and ranger rode by and stopped............asked where we were going, we told him to the beach - we left in 4 mins. and have tried many times to go back - the lady that runs that park will not budge.
u can go north to the town of cape charles and hunt that big city beach - old, but loaded with can slaw and cans - some nice yellow does live there.
that was the original ferry dock before kiptopeake and the piling (millions) are all still there.
fyi

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NY----you can get into the water tho :) they have no legal right there

gravediggermax....thanks for all that info.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: :laughing7:

HERE IS THEIR RESPONSE. oh yes---I am going to be detecting in the water HAHAHA :)

This agency has no prohibition against underwater metal detecting, per se, and I know of no other state agency that would have jurisdiction in this matter.

That said, you cannot significantly impact the water bottoms and you cannot use any mechanical equipment. You would need a permit to do so from this agency.

I hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions, please contact our habitat management division at 757-247-2250.
John M.R. Bull
Director of Public Relations
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
(757) 247-2269

------------------------------------------
This email is going with me camping. It should be enough to show the park rangers and I can use my detector in the chesapeake bay. and with that water being sooooooooooo shallow...it will be like detecting on land (and almost no waves)

I'm in the money, I'm in the money.

This is enough to get me covered right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions