Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past summer I found the top to what I feel must have been a walking stick. There's a lot of detail on this piece and I feel it's likely made of spelter. I collect early figural oil lamps and the oil lamp figures are often cast in spelter.

Spelter, while sometimes used merely as a synonym for zinc, is often used to identify a zinc alloy. In this sense, it might be an alloy of equal parts copper and zinc, i.e. a brass, used for hard soldering and brazing, or as an alloy, containing lead, that is used instead of bronze. In this usage, it was common for many 19th-century cheap, cast articles such as candlesticks and clock cases and early 20th-century Art Nouveau ornaments and Art Deco figures. The word "pewter" is thought to be derived from the word "spelter".

I initially started by 'tumbling' the canes head in my Lortone polisher for 12 hours to remove the heavier corrosion, as I didn't want the end result to look 'too polished'. I then tumbled it for another 24 hours to achieve the look you now see. I then bought a walking stick made of walnut in a second-hand shop for $3. For the brass 'cap' on the bottom, I used part of an old school bell I found a few years ago. I then sanded and coated the wood with 5 coats of dark walnut stain.

Somehow, I knew from the moment I found this cane handle in the woods behind the same 1880 school that I found the bell at that this piece deserved to be properly restored one day!

Thanks for looking,

Dave

Attachments

• Walking Stick Restoration 001.jpg
    Walking Stick Restoration 001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Walking Stick Restoration 002.jpg
    Walking Stick Restoration 002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 415
  • Walking Stick Restoration 003.jpg
    Walking Stick Restoration 003.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 363
  • Before Tumbling.jpg
    Before Tumbling.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 272
  • After First 12hr Tumble.jpg
    After First 12hr Tumble.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 309
  • The Days Finds.jpg
    The Days Finds.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 309
Very nice job on the walking stick.

Thanks for the post and welcome to Tnet! :occasion14:
Dave

PS. I spent a week working in LA back in 2003 and stayed a couple of nights at the Best Western down by the Huntington Beach pier. You live in a beautiful city, having all those beauties in bikinis around doesn't hurt either!
:laughing7:

Last edited:
Very cool! I like it!

Thanks for the post and welcome to Tnet! :occasion14:
Dave

PS. I spent a week working in LA back in 2003 and stayed a couple of nights at the Best Western down by the Huntington Beach pier. You live in a beautiful city, having all those beauties in bikinis around doesn't hurt either!
:laughing7:

There's girls in bikinis around here?? I guess I need to look up now and then when I'm hunting for stuff on the sand. :laughing7:

Thanks for the welcome.

There's girls in bikinis around here?? I guess I need to look up now and then when I'm hunting for stuff on the sand. :laughing7:

Thanks for the welcome.

When I was there it was late January, so bikinis on the beach were pretty much non-existent. :dontknow: Lucky for me the ladies who were there were all freezing cold and in desperate need of some 'Northern Comfort' to help them get warm! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you my friend,
Dave

I just found this piece on eBay and thought it would make for an interesting comparison! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Silver Cane Handle.JPG
    Silver Cane Handle.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 248
That is some BEAUTIFUL, FINE work there! Well done!

very nice! great work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back